help with breech plug

FLATNUT

Inactive
Hi all I have a black powder knight LK 93 50 cal inline with removable breech plug for ez cleaning. I have own this gun from 1993 and is a good shooter.last year the breech plug started to stick after a hunt,
seize would be a better word. After the using penetrating lub and great deal of force I got it out.I clean it WELL I used a anti seize lub on the breech plug went to the range and it happen again , so I got a new breech plug anti seize lub went to the range same thing. I would appreciable any help
Thank you Jesse

Sounds like the threads are worn and you are getting fouling on them.

Suggestion: before trying to remove the plug, plug the nipple hole, pour hot, soapy water into muzzle and let it soak for a while, pour it out and repeat, then try to remove it.

Then get a new breech plug. I don't believe they are very expensive.

Take your breech removal tool with you to the range, and break the breech plug loose after a shot or two while it is still hot. You don't have to take it out, just break the seal the powder residue makes on the threads. This will make removal a lot easier once you get back home to clean. When you are hunting, it doesn't hurt to break the seal as soon as you can after shooting. I keep mine in the truck during season so I can get to it as soon as possible. The longer the residue sits on the threads, the tighter the bond will get, so if you are a stalker, and you intend to be in the woods all day, it probably wouldn't be a bad Idea to carry it with you.

I use a scope, and getting the breech plug out without banging the scope is a bit of a problem if I let it sit to long. If you break the seal loose before it starts to set up, it will save you a real headache later.

Gorilla Grease is the best I can find, but even as good as it is, it won't keep your breech plug from sticking, but once you break it loose, it seems to be MUUUUUUCH easier to get out later.

Hope this helps.

What kind of powder are you shooting and how much? Maybe using a lesser amount of a cleaner burning powder would help.
Have you tried APP fffg?
Could you be over tightening the breechplug when installing it? Maybe you could try leaving it a little bit looser.
Does your breechplug wrench have a cross bar that passes through it to give you some better leverage when turning it? Maybe a longer crossbar would help to give more leverage.
Also, how do you secure your rifle when you remove the breechplug? Do you use a gunrest of some kind to free both hands for turning the wrench?
I usually only liberally use Bore Butter in the threads w/o a problem.
I'm just trying to cover some of the bases. :)

Most posts touched on some good points. I'm going to make a fair guess that you are now using 777. It's great stuff but hotter especially when loading to 150. Breach plug and barrel are of different metal. This allows for some difference in expansion due to temp. coefficiant and allows hot gases to get into the threads. By cutting back on your powder, you treat the symtom and not the cause. However, I have punched deer at 150 yards with 100 grains of 777.
Basically you are frying the thread lubricant. Thread lubricant needs to seal to a certain extent. I have been here and now use "COPPER" based anti-siez. Pipe fitters use this stuff all the time. It has a high temp rating and will not siez and very inexpensive. They make a higher temp. anti-siez that is nickel based but the copper works better. ...... Good luck

PAHOO:
I like that idea, one that I had thought of from my work place "Auto Mechanic/Technition" but have not given any actual trials because my Traditions Yukon is my first inline muzzleloader..

Thanx for the idea... :D

Back