• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Help with Abbreviations on this site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfMacabre

I'm a bit new here and going throguh the posts I see a lot of abbreviations for things. I was just wondering if anyone had a list of abbreviations and what they stood for. Frankly, I get as bit lost trying to figure them out, and risk replying misunderstanding a topic. Thanks!

Hmm off the top of my head..
LE - law enforcement
LEO - " officer
LGS - local gun shop
FTE -fail to eject or extract
FTF - fail to fire when talking ammo or face to face when selling guns
SHTF - **** hits the fan
PITA - pain in the ***
OC - open carry
CC - concealed carry
CCW - concealed carry weapons
IWB - holster, inside waistband
OWB - holster, outside waistband

Last edited:
These will be on the written exam at the end of the semester...

Sometimes the meaning of an abbreviation depends on context, and some meanings are site-specific.

E.g., "SA" can stand for "situational awareness", "single action", or it can stand for "Springfield Armory". An "SAA", however, is a "Single Action Army" revolver.

"GSR" usually means "gunshot residue" (especially if you are watching "CSI"), but here it may likely refer to "Gunsite Ranch".

"OC", in this forum, usually refers to "open carry", but could refer to "oleoresin capsicum" (pepper spray).

If you're reading an article by, say, Leroy Thompson or Elijah Shaw, the topic will likely be EP (Executive Protection) and the term "BG" will refer to a bodyguard; in this forum, however, "BG" usually just means "bad guy".

An "HP" is a 'hollowpoint", a "JHP" is a "jacketed hollowpoint", but a "BHP" is a "Browning Hi-Power" (aka P-35). In the UK, "WC" is the "water closet", but here it's more likely a "wadcutter". And a reference here to an "RN" is more likely to a "roundnose" than to a "Registered Nurse".

I notice that I'm now a "Senior Member", so I guess I'm no longer an "FNG" ("Fairly New Guy")!

And while we may have any number of "SOBs" here, the term usually means "small of back".

Ringolevio:

Interesting post. Abreviations are usually confusing to someone reading the post. Depends on experience, occupation, interests, etc.

Your comment on Senior member is interesting. I wonder what makes one "senior." Or "junior" for that matter :D

"I wonder what makes one "senior." Or "junior" for that matter"

Post count, pure and simple.

IIRC you hit senior member when you've made 100 posts.

S&W = Smith and Wesson
MN = Mosin-Nagant
M1A = M14-patterned .308 rifle by Springfield Armory
LSWCHP = lead semi-wadcutter hollow-point
JC = Jeff Cooper

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back