Help with a Remington 700 Long Action

bassfishindoc

Hey all, I am in search of a Remington 700 long action to build a rifle on. I came across an older 700 in my local gun shop for a good price, however, there were some things on it that I had not seen before and am seeking your help in explaining these differences to me.
First, sorry for the picture quality, these were taken with my phone.
The first two pictures show the action, and as you can see, the rear receiver ring has a notch cut into it going back almost to the scope mount. I searched the internet and could not find if this was a design variation that Remington did for a while, as the cutout looks to be factory. If it is not factory, any idea of why somebody would cut out part of the receiver ring? I thought maybe it was a slot for a clip like in the M24, but it is not shaped the same. Any ideas?
The last pic is of a 7mm bolt face from another rifle I own. My reason for posting this is because you will note the notch cut into the left lug, this notch was missing on the 700 at the gun store. This notch is present in all my other 700's. Was this a design change by Remington? If i buy this gun to use the action will i be at a disadvantage not having this notch What does the notch do?
Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• Rem 700 LA with cutout 1.jpg
    Rem 700 LA with cutout 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Rem 700 LA with cutout 2.jpg
    Rem 700 LA with cutout 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 7mm Bolt Face.jpg
    7mm Bolt Face.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 179
Your bolt looks exactly like the bolt on my Remington 700 long action. But the cut out on top of the receiver, mine doesn’t have. I have no idea why it’s there.

doc what caliper is the 700 long action with the rear of the receiver notched? I haven't seen another 700 like that? I have several Rem 700s and none of mine look like that?

The rifle is a 30-06. I asked the same question on another forum and they said the cutout on the receiver might be a holdover from the 722, when Remington was making the transition from 722 to 700. Has anybody else heard this? I have never seen a 722 before, can anybody verify if they did indeed have a notch in the rear receiver ring like the rifle pictured?

I can't remember exactly what the 721 looks like which was the long action,next time I get over to my Dads house I'll check out his Rem 721 280 he bought new in the late 50s.

The 722 Rems were short action rifles.

What may of happen someone found a long action clip feed magazine or reworked something and cut slot out for that.

Rem made cut out for the 40x repeater short action.

I put a PTG fluted long action for a 30-06 and it has the cut on the lug, and my orginal one had one as well it was a SPS REMY. I would say it plays a part on relieving pressure as if you check the receiver has ports to assist in chamber pressures.

IIRC, that square cut was added by Remington to accomodate the longer belted magnums, like the .300 & .375 H&H, and not a clip-loading slot (which has clearance ears & isn't perfectly square).

The clearance wasn't needed on 7mm Magnums, because their loaded length was the same as the .30-06.

It could be that the action was used, in a pinch, for a .30-06, or it's a rebarreled long magnum.

First of all, that is an old, old Rem 700. Remington quit applying the fleur-de-lis cut checkering in the late 1960s, to be replaced with everyone's favorite, stamped checkering, which lasted well into the 1980s when programmable checkering machines showed up in the factories.

I don't know about the notch on the rear bridge or what its purpose is, although I have seen it several times before. I could make something up, if you want. I always assumed it was so the rifle could be used with an added stripper clip guide for shooting NRA High Power Rifle matches, like the older Win Model 70s.

The notch on theright bolt lug (looking from the rear) is for the anti-binding feature Remington added to the Model 700 in the late 1960s. In newer actions, there is a corresponding rail on the ejection port side of the receiver that the small tab fits under to keep the bolt from binding when operated rapidly.

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and bought the rifle today. Based on the barrel code it appears the rifle was manufactured in September 1968. As it is an old and beautiful rifle I don't think I will tear it apart to use the action for another build, but rather, I will check the head-space and use it as a deer rifle. It just seems a shame to tear apart a good old rifle that has made it this far in life.

To each his own, but I would make it into what I wanted it to be. Save the nice stock, put a new tube on it in your preferred caliber and you'll maintain the spirit of the rifle but have what you want as well.

I ran into a guy at the range with a beautiful walnut-stocked Model 70 with a pre-64 action and a new Krieger barrel. His grandfather gave him the rifle with a shot out barrel but everything else was in great shape. He left it in the Winchester wood to maintain reverence to it being a gift from his grandpa and he had a tack-driving antelope rifle with that new barrel and .25-06 chambering.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Back