help with a cartridge ?

william74

Inactive
My father had a rifle in the 1980,s that fired a rim fire cartridge that looks a lot like the 17 hmr. Just a little bigger . When my dad passed away in some of his stuff I found 2 rounds he had left for this gun that god only knows wear is at now . I think it is a 20 caliber bullet ( .202 ) on my calipers , it is 1 3/8 over all and has a (U) with a dot in middle stamped on the base . Anyone know what this was called , who made the gun ?

thank you

Thank you . You seemed sure you knew this but I goggled it anyway and you are dead on ! I remember when he had it I only got to shoot it 1 time because he said the ammo was real hard to find . This would make sense being they stopped making it in 1982 !! thanks agin

Up until they started making it again, finding stashes of 5mm was very expensive. I'd seen them go for more than $100/box.

When Remington abandoned the 5mm rimfire, lots of rifle owners were left holding the bag. Some enterprising machinist found a way to convert them to centerfire (that could be reloaded). This was known as the 5mm Craig.

Back