Help with a 50 cal

RED_beard92

I recently posted a thread on brush gun suggestions and with further consideration I am thinking about just scraping that idea and just going big. 50 cal big.:) I want to know what I'm talking about before I go to my local gun shop and order one. First who makes them? I heard H&R makes a single shot in 500 S&W which would not be bad but I cant find a price on the internet. Also I want to know who else makes one for under 1,000 dollars, with a bit of saving 1,500 could be doable. Also I here 50 A&E and 50 BMG? what's the difference, and can either shoot 500 S&W ammo? :confused: Thanks.

Considering this is my first post on this forum - hello everyone!

Answer to your last question: .50A/E, .50 BMG and .500 S&W are completely different cartridges. All of them have ".50" in name, informing that their bullets are about half inch in diameter, but they have no other similarities. They were designed in different times to perform different tasks, being used in different platforms (pistol, heavy MG and revolver)., thus as far as I know there is no way that a rifle desinged to shoot one of them, would also shoot another one (just like .22 lr rifle cannot shoot .22 hornet or .223 remington, despite that all have ".22" in their names).

I hope that I explained this right.

With a budget of $1,500.00 50bmg is out of the question. I have $3,300.00 in my rifle and around $1,900.00 in my scope.

A Handi Rifle in 500S&W in totally in your budget, they sell for around $300.00 leaving money for ammo and optics.

I don't know of any rifles in 50ae

Also I here 50 A&E and 50 BMG? what's the difference, and can either shoot 500 S&W ammo? Thanks.

A picture is worth a thousand words. The first picture shows 500 S&W on the right and 50A.E. in the middle. You will notice that the rim of the cartridges is very different. The second picture is 50 BMG.

Attachments

• 100_3326.jpg
    100_3326.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    1.5 KB · Views: 23
I wouldn't get into a .50 anything if you don't reload or plan on reloading for it. That kind of ammo will eat your wallet up quick. If you're just looking for a biggish boomer H&R makes Handi Rifles in .45-70 too. Much easier to find than the .50's and usually less expensive. I think you can pick up a Buffalo Classic model for around $400? Been a while since I looked.

If you step down from .50 to .45 you will get a lot more rifles within your budget. .45-70, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, etc can all be had in good quality lever guns for well under $1000. Plus, with a lever gun you will get a much quicker follow up shot in a compact and handy rifle. My brush gun is a Win 94 Big Bore in .375 Win and it's perfectly suited to the role.

For a measly $200 over your budget (remember, Christmas is coming ;) ), you can have a .500 S&W Magnum Big Horn Armory Model 89 (rifle or carbine models available).

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/model-89-carbine-2/

2bd94d304e6748a2bf5367f550af25351.JPG

Back