Help with a *&* 29

Halffast

I bought a 4" Nickel 29-3 last Friday. The trigger is very light and I found that I can "push off" the hammer (after I got home). This is to be strictly a target and hunting handgun, so should I be concerned? It gave me no trouble when I fired it except that the accuracy was quite poor. I was getting about 8" groups shooting single action from a sandbag rest with two different loads that I get 2 to 3" groups with from my 629 and SBH. Could the timing be off? I really need help! (Yes, probably that kind too! ;) )

TIA

David

The gun is unsafe.

It MUST be taken to a competent and qualified gunsmith immediately.

The hammer SHOULD NEVER "push off" when it is cocked.

Think about the mechaics of it, imageing you are hunting pigs (i see you live in SA), the hammer is cocked, you take aim, and then you get rushed and decide to run, any hard vibration might set her off.

8"? Yea that's kinda crappy off bags, make sure and tell them that too.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Another question.....about how much should I have to pay to get this gun fixed? I think that maybe I should just take it back for a refund.

David

If you can get a refund, "unsafe gun" should help; I would go that route. Sounds like somebody did some major stoning on the sear and probably cut through the case hardening. Bugger to repair without replacing the hammer and/or sear.

I think Mike Irwin has gone through that process and am sure that he will tell you that it is not for the faint hearted.

Sounds like you also have problems elsewhere with that gun as the sear situation should not be giving you the lack of accuracy.

Sam

Problem solved

Thanks for all the help guys. I took the gun to a smith and he said it was a little out of time too. I took it back to the store and for $25 more walked out with a brand new Stainless Super Blackhawk. I ended up paying about $40 more for the SBH than my regular shop would have charged me, but at least I ended up with more than a trotline weight for my money. :rolleyes: I consider the extra well worth the lessons I learned from this episode. Again, thanks for all the help. :)

David

Back