Help With 223 Cast Bullets

GunGuru

Inactive
I have some 55 gr cast bullets with a gas check that I tried to load for my AR15 and my 223 bolt rifle. When I loaded them I went by the top crimp groove like I normally would. When I tried to chamber them in my rifles, both of them were very hard to chamber. Any suggestions?

When you pull a chambered but unfired cartridge back out, do you see rifling marks on the bullets? You can always seat them deeper and crimp over the front of the bearing surface, though that won't help you with push-in during feeding from a magazine and you will want to lower the powder charge a little. For loading singly, though, the crimp may be unnecessary, depending on the powder choice. These bullets may have been designed for a longer throat or a different cartridge.

If, instead of the bullet getting marked, marks are on the case neck (use a Magic Marker to color the neck so you can see scuffing easily), then the bullets need to be sized down a little.

have you slug your barrel ? that way you will know what size you need to cast your boolits.Also have you check your OAL? There is another thing some guns need to use the Lee Factory Die for the last step of reloading because some guns have a tight chamber.First slug your gun and then go from there.

Back