Help with 1851 Pietta

M14MSgt

I have a Pietta 1851 black powder in .44 caliber. I know to remove the cylinder the wedge has to be removed. How do you remove the wedge without marring the metal? I have to resort to a punch to get the stubborn thing out. Anyone else face this problem?

Hey M14MSGT!
I'm just down the 14 from you in Acton. I have 4 Colt's 2 1851 navy's (Colt 2Nd Gen.s and 2 1860 Army's(Belgian re-issues) I made a cartridge remover(stick with a chunk of Elk Antler on it) for my Remy Conversions. The Antler was cut just at the branch of two tines and there is a small lip where I cut it off. I use this to depress the spring, then the end of the antler to knock the wedge back into the slot. Sometimes I can just hit the wedge end from above and to the right(glancing blow) and it depresses the spring and loosens the wedge. I do this with the end of the antler and it does not mar the finish.
I'm sure there are others that can tell you how they do it so as not to mar the finish.
My way works for me, but as the man says, your mileage may vary.

I shoot with the high Desert Cowboys at Desert Marksmen range off Angeles Forest Hwy. We shoot every third Sunday. you are welcome to join us this coming Sunday. My SASS alias is Halfway Creek Charlie

Are you having this difficulty with an unfired pistol, or is this a problem that developed after you shot it?

Old Dragoon & w_houle...thanks for the replies. No, I have not shot this yet, but wanted to dissasemble just to see how the cylinder comes off. Dragoon, I am tied up on Sundays, but know of that ranger and plan to renew my membership there. I mainly shoot military-surplus rifles...but have a few cowboy guns. I have a 1872 Open-top, 1892 Winchester, 1847 Walker, 1851 Pietta, and an 1873 Cattleman.

Back