Help: where to buy a gun safe?

CorG

Inactive
Hi,
I won't bore you with the "which safe to buy" question, I just want to ask how to go about buying one. Suppose I decide on a "name brand" like say Liberty or Fort Knox or Browning, where should I go to buy one? Direct from the manufacturer? From safe distributor near me? A gun store? A locksmith? On-line? Which is the most economical (OK, cheapest)? I live in southern Calif, near LA, if anyone can give a recommendation. Thanks.

BTW, I'm posting this on TFL and GT cause AR15.com is dead :(

Once you pick a brand, contact the manufacturer by phone or e-mail and ask them for the name, address and phone of the dealer nearest you. I doubt many safes get sold factory direct. Go to the dealer, see what you're buying before you buy, and make sure he will deliver it and set it inside where you want it (not just drop it in the driveway).

If you go to a gun show there will probably be a safe dealer or two there, and they run specials at these events.

The cheapest safe is like the cheapest motorcycle helmet. As they say, if you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet. Like any other product, you have to consider the quality, features and warranty, but with a safe you also have to consider time. Any safe can be broken, but the better the safe the longer it takes.

One last thing. Once you buy the safe call your homeowners insurance company and tell them you have it and are storing ALL valuables in it (jewelry, cameras, etc.) and you may get a discount.

Bought mine USED at a local store that is a licensed distributor for all the major brands. The safe was in perfect condition, although 10+ years old. I saved a bundle and I suspect my firearms are just as secure as they would be in a brand-new model costing hundreds more.

Sportsmen Steel Safe Co

Look in the OC register sports section, especially Thu and Fri.

They are located in Lng Beach or Carson, can't recall which, but they are right near a freeway.

I think a safe purchased from any mfr who is not reasonably local will be lots more simply because of the freight.

I have seen threads about guys getting the runaround on delivery dates from Sportsman, but I just drove there in my truck, looked at what they had available, picked one out, paid, and left. If you want something special, I think you get in line and wait.

A buddy and me moved it with a HEAVY reefer dolly.

That was about 7 years ago, I've never had a problem.

As you've heard before, get a BIG one, it will fill up, and I'm always putting Docs, cameras, etc in there.

The rec.guns FAQ has an excellent section on safes:

http://www.recguns.com/OutXIIIb.html

I recommend that you buy your safe from a local dealer who can also deliver and install it. If you drop a 750 lb safe on your buddy, you'll ruin your whole day (as well as end his life). Pay the $100 or whatever to have the dealer install it. Your back (and your buddy's wife) will thank you.

Figure out how many guns you will ever own, then buy a safe that will hold twice as many. That way it will be at least 5 years before you'll have to buy a second safe :eek:

Buy the biggest, heaviest safe you can afford. While most safe manufacturers trumpet how thick the door is, check also on how thick the walls are. Cheaper safes have walls made of 10 or 12 guage steel, that can be defeated using a peeling attack. Bolt the safe to your basement floor. Get a goldenrod dehumidifier.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 01-24-2001 at 10:44 AM]

One more tip -- do NOT make the combination one of those easy to guess numbers like a birthday or phone number. When I was in the Army our S-2 Section flunked an AGI because the inspectors opened the classified safe using the S-2 sergeant's ETS date (that's Expiration of Term of Service, the day you're scheduled to get out of the Army).

You've gotten some good replies. I'd like to add just one more thing. Check out Cannon brand safes. They are made in California and you might get a better deal since they don't have to be shipped as far. Good quality safe too. I'm -very- pleased with mine.

Joe

Security Center

I went into a lock and safe store here in town, I was suprised to find what a large selection of firearms related safes they had there, and how poor a selection the local gun stores had.

I even bought my quick-access safe for $20 cheaper than I saw in the magazine.

First check out banks, jewelry stores, and grocery stores.
I've seen many not in use because when a company gets a new one, the old ones are heavy and expensive to move.
If you'll get it out of there without cost to them, sometimes you can get one for cheap or maybe even free.

Good Luck........

Back