HELP! What 10mm should I buy?

CastleBravo

I want a full-size 10mm pistol that isn't a Glock 20. I love my Glock 23, but the 20 is just too fat in the grip and feels real awkward to me.

So... any suggestions based on first-hand experience? My biggest priorities are reliability, reliability and...uh, did I mention reliability? :-)

Thanks!

----------
CastleBravo

These are your choices:

1. Glock 20
2. STI
3. EAA/Tanfoglio
4. Smith & Wesson 610 (revolver)

These are all in current production. There are other models that have long been discontinued like Colt's Delta Elite and S &W had a auto also, don't remember the model number.

Robert

Just in case you haven't, make sure you have tried the newer Glocks with the finger grooves. The finger grooves help a lot.

Also, I used to think the Glock was too fat, until I shot one. What a dream to shoot. The fat handle actually disperses the recoil into your hand, and it just....works. I don't know why. Something about that fat grip forces your hand to hold it right or something.
My G30 and G21 as well as my friends' G29 and G20 shoot great and even though they felt wierd at first, they just really shine when you start shooting them.

Other than that....does anyone else even make a 10mm anymore?

FWIW, I've been looking into the EAA/Tanfoglio Witness mentioned above, and it would be my pick in a heartbeat based on my research and comments from owners on TFL. Supposed to be solid, reliable (sometimes requires minor tweaking, but nothing like a few .45s I can think of) and accurate. I haven't fired one, unfortunately--but I've held it and the grip must be felt to be believed. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably actually as fat as a Glock but the shape is radically different and I haven't met anyone who didn't like it yet.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I currently own a Colt Delta Elite (got it on an even trade for a Beretta Centurion). It shoots great, but I've only fed CCI Blazers through it. Every once in a while, there's a feed problem through the feed ramp / barrel, but this may be due just to limp wristing. It's an awesome pistol, and the cartridge itself shoots very, very flat.
I also have a buddy that owns a S & W 610 revolver, and I'm addicted to it. It's one of the earlier models with the fluted cylinder, making the pistol a bit lighter and a bit more attractive, and I've shot it so much that I'm considering one for myself. Very, very, accurate...

CastleBravo-I own an early Colt Delta Elite. I've had it for over 10 years now. I have a few custom touches on it. I jeweled the sides of the trigger and hammer and the barrel hood. I polished the throat and went shooting. I have 6 factory magazines and love it. I once took a friend of mine out to the range. We were shooting at plastic milk jugs filled with water. He was shooting a Sig 220. He joked about the 10mm being over rated. I handed him my Delta and a full magazine. On his first shot, he sent a full milk jug into the air about 8 feet straight up. You should have seen him mouth drop. I have never had a jam or misfire. I like the versatility of this load. Ballistics from 40 S&W to nearing 41 mag. All in the 1911 platform. Colt also made the Double Eagle in 10mm that had a horribly long and heavy trigger pull. The Witness would be another excellent option. I have fired one and plan on acquring one in the future. I have also fired an HK SP89 in 10mm. It was so sweet that I had to change my shorts. The newer stainless Delta Elites on the 1991 tooling have QC problems. Do your homework and look around until you find something. I highly recommend the Colt Delta Elite, but, for the money, the Witness looks great. Sorry for the long post.

I agree with aztec777. I've got an older Delta Elite. Its an incredible weapon. I love it and the round. Never had any reliability problems with it so far. The S&W autos are the full sized 1006, the 1066 compact (still a large gun), and I believe the 1076, which was the FBI version with the decocker. None are in current production :( Never fired one before, but everyone I've ever heard of who has one says they're real accurate. The Witness is rather intriguing also. I think I'll wait a year or so and then see how the owners like them. It should be interesting to see if it holds up to the pressures of that awsome round. Whatever you get, CastleBravo, you're gonna LOVE shootin it! :) GOOD LUCK!

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

CastleBravo:

A previous posting to this thread mentioned 10mm automatics available in the classis 1911A1 design, specifically Colt's Delta Eagle. If that interests you, you also may wish to consider the Kimber full size in 10mm. I have no personal experience with the Kimber 10mm, but my stainless Custom/Classic in .45 ACP is terrific -- and its accuracy, size, mass, precision manufacturing, strength and durability (particularly in stainless) might be ideal for "hot" 10mm loads.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited December 12, 1999).]

Best choice - STI. Most emotionally involved choice - EAA Witness.

I believe (being an EAA junky) I'd start with the Witness, but I'm willing to put up with some intial 'tuning' to make it perfectly reliable.

If you just want to 'give man money buy gun' then the STI (of IPSC fame) is the way to go. Assume years of trouble-free performance.
Cost lots of money, worth it.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Got another .40 cal bbl for my Para P-16, had it reamed to 10mm, installed a 24lb recoil spring & was ready ta ROCK !
18rnds (21 with +3 base pad) is a whole lotta gun.... Big grin :D

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I agree with WESHOOT2, get a witness. Mine is great, unbelievably (bad spelling?) reliable and dirt cheap ($285 new with 5 magazines a year ago). It is built like a tank, smooth recoil and very accurate. The downside is that the finish is not the prettiest in the world, kind of a tough parkerized roughness, but for that type of money I could pay to get it polished up.

Right now my 10mm sits in my truck as my standard truck gun. It is loaded with 175 grn Silvertips and 3 mags. I figure if I cannot stop or repel something with that much power I deserve the trouble. Besides if was cheap, there is now way I would put my Baer guns in the same environment.

Get a witness you won't regret it.

got a 20 and 20c and 2 610s and a Delta and a Smith 1076 (the FBI model). The 1066 and 1076 are to be had with a little looking. I shot IPSC with my smith for one year and it was great. Dan coonan converted my Delta E into an IPSC comp gun. but it also works with my stock or barsto bbl just fine. Take your pick. smith also made some 3" 610 last year. Lou Horton i think

------------------
Vinny

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions. I tried an EAA Witness. I have to admit I was really skeptical, but it was EXCELLENT. Felt very solid, everything was smooth, the trigger felt really good, even in DA (which I usually despise) and the ergonomics and "feel" of it put everything else I've tried to shame, including my beloved Glock 23. Also, the black finish was excellent. I'll get MINE this Friday. Of course, I need to fire a few HUNDRED rounds before I "settle" on it... but life is hard sometimes :-)

----------
CastleBravo

congrats CastleBravo! i just received my Wonderfinish Witness 10mm just a few days ago. excellent gun in looks, manufacture and ergonomics. i haven't been able to shoot it yet (at the gun shop till i get it registered...Canadian thing) but i have a feeling it will be a really nice shooter.

if u think the Witness feels good, u have to try the Bren Ten. it came in with my Witness and it is the most comfortable double stack handgun i have ever felt! the DA is incredibly short too! SA is about 3.5#s!!!

the other 10mms that came in at the same time were the Colt Delta Elite enhanced SS, Star Megastar (very big gun!).

Kimber doesn't have a 10mm chambered gun. they do have .40S&W guns available that can easilly be chambered for 10mm with a swap of the barrel and springs...maybe the magazine too. this can be done with the Para Ord guns too.

i have a 5" S&W 610 and a newer 6.5" 610CH both r great! if u find an original 610 (with fluted cylinder) get it...they r some of the best guns S&W has made.

other semiauto S&W 10mms: 1006, 1066 (both traditional slide mounted safeties 5" and 4.25" respectively), 1026, 1076 (both frame mounted decocker models like a SIG/SAUER), 1046 (very rare...if u find one, i'll buy it!!!), 1086 (both DAO models).

HK doesn't make a 10mm handgun...they do make a MP5/10mm...wish i could get one of those!

in addition to my new Delta Elite, i have an UBSS one and a Double Eagle (DA/SA with frame mounted decocker like a SIG/SAUER) in 10mm.

the eAA Witness 10mm also comes in a compat 3.5" model. the S&W 610 is also available in a 3" model (only 300 made).

enjoy the Witness! i know i will! hoep u get another 10mm too!

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

I HAVE A SMITH MODEL 1026 5-INCH BARREL WITH FRAME DECOCKER. I REALLY LIKE IT. qUALIFIED EXPERT AT TGE POLICE ACADEMY WITH IT.

Glock makes a great 10mm. H&K does not make one

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

Glock makes *2* great 10s: the 20 (full-size) and 29 (compact). The 20 is my usual carry gun.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Back