Help w/ Size and Cost

hube1236

I want to take up shotgun hunting. I will probably only hunt fowl (water and land with it)- no slug launching.

I went to the local gun store- sorry Coinneach wasn't yours. The guy recommended that I buy a 10 ga, 28", Benelli(?) Semi. The retail was $1100. This seems a little high, and I know you get what you pay for, but $1100?

My primary intent will be duck and pheasant.

Let me be the next to say "what?". Please do not buy a 10 ga!(Does Benelli make one?) A 3" 12 ga. will do for ducks(and almost anything else including slugs), unless you really want a 3.5" for long/high passing shots and are a glutton for punishment. You have a variety of choices from a Remington 12 ga. Express Magnum punp at $200+ to a very nice Ruger/Browning/Beretta O/U for $1000 to $1400. Time for me to walk home. I'll check back later to see what happens. John

OOooo KKKkkk, let's get started...

You need a 10 ga like Custer needed more Sioux. The big 10 is a specialized waterfowl gun, for those that can handle it. And, in the uplands for game no bigger than Pheasant, it's like using a 458 Winchester on gophers. Besides being hernia inducing heavy, the recoil is on the uh, stout side..

In fact, a 12 ga shooting 2 3/4" loads might be close to optimum for most shooting, with the 3" jobs for big geese in late season when shots are a bit longer.

Sorry, the only reason for 3 1/2" 12s I can see is to sell more bad shots new shotguns.

I suggest you get yourself down to a range. Introduce yourself to some shooters and ask if you can swing their shotguns. You'll get LOTS of opinions and maybe find a shotgun that works for you.

And,speaking of opinions,I think a good used 870 Remington will fill your personal bill nicely.

Back