Help! VC HR Schilling

kevjen143

Inactive
I recieved a 16 GA double barrel shotgun from a friend of mine and am having a hard time finding out anything about it. on the top of one barrel it says VC HR Schilling and on the other barrel it just says Suhl. Each part has what looks like a V with a crown on top of the V, and a R with what looks like a Star and a U with a different looking crown. It also has 19945 stamped on it. The entire gun has some elaboret scrolling on both barrells and the rest is picture scenes of rabits, deer and others. the trigger guard seems to be made out of bone or something like that. thanks for any help you can give me. the gun is in awesome condition and has been very well taken care of. thanks again
Kevin

VC Schilling was a manufacturer located in Suhl, Germany between the early 1800s and the Second World War, and they were known for very nice rifles, shotguns, and combination guns (drilling, vierlings, etc.) Suhl was the location for most of Germany's high-end custom gunmakers, but since it ended up in East Germany, most of them were abolished and "collectivized" by the Soviets. The trigger-guard is likely carved horn. For a reasonably close estimate of value, you're going to have to either find a Blue Book of Gun Values, or have it appraised.

I have a similar shotgun as yours though not as ornately engraved as you describe. I thought it was V CHR Schilling. Space between V and C. And I figured CHR was short for Charles. Gun has Damascus steel barrels and exposed double hammers. I used to hunt with it when I was a kid. Dad warned me never to shoot high brass loads in it. Killed a lot of Dove Quail and rabbits with that thing. It was my grandfathers or great grandfathers, I'm not sure. I know its old but I don't know how old.

Back