HELP! Value of Mint Enfield No 4???

Anthony

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday a friend of mine informed me that he was selling off the majority of his rifle collection in favor of keeping only a few on hand.

He has nearly 20 Enfield rifles as he used to have a thing for British firearms.

One of them is an Enfield No 4 from the last batch manufactured in 1955. It was in mint condition and unfired when he bought it. He has put perhaps 40 rounds through it. The wood is a light tan and perfect with no blemishs. Metal parts are super tight and the bore is pristine. It also has the original sling and spike bayonet.

He paid $400 for it, but has offered to sell it to me for $300.

Is this a fair price?

If not, what is?

- Anthony

$400 sounds about right for an Enfield No4 Mk 2 "in the wrap" (still in cosmoline). HOWEVER, as soon as he cleaned it up and fired it, that rifle lost a GREAT deal of its value! I have seen the same rifle in NRA EX condition (98%) for about $200 or so recently at gun shows. Now, his rifle may be in more than EX shape - almost perfect, but I can't see paying $300 for it, that's a tad bit high. I'd say $200 to $250 would be more like it. BTW, these are really excellent rifles, well worth owning! Let us know if you do buy it, and I'll tell you about the best ammo to feed it.

**** Big Time Disclaimer ****
These older C & R guns are hard to put monitary values to. The market is very dynamic. There are probably a few people on this forum that would jump at this rifle for $300, but it sounds a little high to me.

HTH,
Gino

PS After you decide on the gun, tell your friend to post a list to the For Sale forum! Since it is a C&R gun, many of us can buy them without having to go through an FFL.

I've seen similar Enfields for about $270, but not recently. Check out the Alaska Enfield Headquarters and see what they think.

Back