Help to identify this Mauser.

Backwood

Inactive
I'm looking at buying this Mauser in 30-06, but the owner states that the is no markings on the rifle. Can anyone here with knowledge of these rifles help me out? I've got an itch for an old Mauser but like to know a little history of the rifle before I buy it.

He's selling it for $300.

Attachments

• Mauser 1.jpeg
    Mauser 1.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Mauser 2.jpeg
    Mauser 2.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Mauser 3.jpeg
    Mauser 3.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 81
How about a shot of the top of the receiver. Also and marks on the left side of the receiver. Otherwise, I'm fairly sure it a 98 Mauser.

I sent out a request for the pic.

I asked about it before I posted this & he said there isn't anything on the rifle. I did a search and found that some rifles had the markings removed so figured he was right.

If the bore and muzzle are clean, and the leade is not burned, odds are that it's an okay shooter. Only other thing would be to check the headspace.

$300 seems like an okay price, in today's world.

That's the main issue holding me back from buying. Since I don't have a headspace gauge or able to slug the barrel before buying, I was hoping that some pictures could reveal some detail that these were from a certain lot of Mauser's.

If it was a sporterized I wouldn't even be looking at it since I couldn't validate any history on it. But with the style of stock, bolt, barrel bands, ect... it should at least tell a story I would hope to indicate if they are worth my time or if it was just a low level conversion.

I'm sure a "gunsmith" would have one, but since I nor the guy is a gunsmith one isn't available.

Here's a pic of the top receiver that the guy gave me, he didn't bother to take a side pic like I had asked although he did include the rear sight for some reason.

I get the feeling he's the type of guy that doesn't like to show the serial # of rifles he owns.

Attachments

• Mauser 5.jpeg
    Mauser 5.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Mauser 6.jpeg
    Mauser 6.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 48
Just for an update, I decided to pass on this gun. After thinking it over I felt $300 was too much for it. Some reason it feels like it should be in the $200-250 range now that it's a low cost hunting rifle.

looks like the receiver markings were scrubbed; it would take some out of the investigating to tell where it started from and for me that ruins the "history" value.

What about narrowing down other angles? We know Belgium, Columbia, and maybe Iran had .30-06 Mausers. Who else had them, and what countries can anyone think of that has/had a habit of scrubbing receivers?

All this assuming that's an original barrel?

There's a few people I know who could take a look at it and figure out who made it, but it's clean on the receiver so I can't.
As far as it being a 3006, the barrel should be so stamped.
It's been refinished for some reason, so value isn't there for me, 200.00 cash is best I'd do.

What about narrowing down other angles? We know Belgium, Columbia, and maybe Iran had .30-06 Mausers. Who else had them, and what countries can anyone think of that has/had a habit of scrubbing receivers?

Belgium, Columbia, Haiti, Morocco, Peru and Luxembourg used FN Mausers in 30-06.

Back