Help Talk me into or out of a great or stupid idea regarding Bond Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothdel

So for some strange reason I have decided that a Bond Arms derringer is just the thing I need.

I do carry (legally of course) but I can't say I'm in huge need of a back up gun or smaller gun to conceal during summer. Normally I carry a Ruger LCR 357 or a Ruger LCP both of which work fine in a pair of shorts. When I go camping I typically carry a Glock 20 as a pack gun.

Is there any practical reason to get one of these little derringers? I can't think of one other than fun at the range. Not sure if my wife will go for that reasoning.

If you like them buy one.

Oops..........was that the wrong thing to say?

Oh well........ Too bad!

You see, what you carry is up to you. I would argue that any gun is better then no gun. Any gun will do if you can do a good job with that gun.

Some guns (lots of them) are probably better choices for fighting and most other guns are better for hunting, but if you learn to use the Bond well, and you like it, buy it! Its your money and the gun needs to please only you.

Although similar in dimensions, the weight of the Bond Arms, even the smallest model, is significantly more than either you currently have. I think the added weight would not only be noticable, but problematic. Especially in your Summer attire.
But don't let that stop you from the twice barrel pistol. Even though they have their disadvantages of bulk, S/A trigger that must be cocked for each shot, and low capacity, they are very well built.
If you need to scrach that Riverboat Gambler itch, and have won enough hands to cover the five hundred bucks go for it!
I'm not that lucky at cards, so my nostalgia budget was much closer to a Cobra Big Bore 38Spcl at about 1/4 the price.
If for some reason I were to want a Derringger for carry however, the Bond Arms would be my choice.

Funny, I was looking at these over the weekend too. One cool feature was the cross draw driving holster. And the interchangeable barrels. But yeah, I got several more practical desires as well, so I can't see scratching this itch any time soon.

You already have lighter carry guns with higher capacity. Nothing wrong with having a range toy, but it is hard to make a case for it being "useful" or "needed." The only excuse I can think of is to load it with shot and call it your dedicated snake gun, if you think that will fly.

At least half the guns I have, I have for only one reason. I got them simply because I wanted them. No other reason is needed.

That Bond derringer is better the the Davis in .38 that I carry as an extra loaded with shot loads in snake country. In fact I am thinking of keeping my Davis in my shirt pocket during hunting season this year for sage grouse.

Many here will call these kinda guns range toys. Those that do I have to wonder if they can hit the barn door with anything that they shoot as I have no problem hitting a paint can size target from 50 feet with my inexpensive Davis.

For me I am past practical as a reason for my firearm purchases. I have what I would call my practical firearms which are three out of the fourteen I own. Forget practical, thats not fun but I can tell you what is fun, a derringer and Bond Arms are about as good as it gets.

I'm a skinny guy.
At times, depending upon wardrobe choice and the day's activities, there is no reasonable way for me to carry a compact semi-auto or compact revolver.

That's when the derringer comes out to play.

I can pretty much hide it in a sock, if necessary; but it is very easily slipped into a pocket.

In my opinion, cartridges like .38 Special, .357 Mag, .327 Federal, .410 bore, etc. are a complete waste of time if you want anything resembling performance.

On the other hand, .45 Auto, 9mm, and .380 Auto do pretty well out of the short barrels.
And, even .22 WMR, while not a "man stopper", is said to be extremely effective at neutralizing a threat, when used on a kneecap, point-blank.

Other than "deep" concealment, the derringer is just for fun...

FrankenMauser said:
I can pretty much hide it in a sock...cartridges like .38 Special, .357 Mag, .327 Federal, .410 bore, etc. are a complete waste of time if you want anything resembling performance....45 Auto, 9mm, and .380 Auto do pretty well out of the short barrels.
And, even .22 WMR, while not a "man stopper", is said to be extremely effective at neutralizing a threat, when used on a kneecap, point-blank.

Wait, so all those snubby 38/357 revolvers with sub-2" barrels are a waste of time? :confused:

So what model can you hide in a sock in an effective caliber? Honest question.

So what model can you hide in a sock in an effective caliber? Honest question.
I was speaking about a derringer in general. To address the topic more specifically:
I don't own a Bond Arms derringer, so their increased size isn't a consideration in my statement.

But, I have stuffed a Cobra Big Bore .380 into my sock in the past (also with the "Long Bore" .22 WMR barrel installed). Under different circumstances, the .380 version also spent a few hours riding around my ankle inside a boot.

Being Cobras, they had problems. The Big Bores and their spare barrels are long gone now. But I do still have a 'standard' (small frame) Cobra derringer with .22 LR and .22 WMR barrels. When everything else is too big, even two neutered rounds of .22 LR is better than nothing.

The Bond Arms derringers are very heavy.

The big ones are similar in size to the LCR. The big ones weigh around 22 ounces. The LCR weighs 17 oz. The Glock 20 weighs around 28 oz unloaded.

The small ones are a little shorter in overall length than the LCP, but are a little taller in height, and weigh about twice as much as the LCP.

I think they are silly guns, but if you want one, you want one.

If you sell your LCR, that would just about cover it and smooth things over with the wife in one step.

I'm not so sure about the BA guns.

Well made, yes. But so large and heavy for what they offer. They are frankly huge for a derringer, and weigh more than a steel framed J-frame .357 magnum, and aren't much smaller if at all.

I think in .410 they make a good dedicated snake gun, but that's about it.

Is there any practical reason to get one of these little derringers?

Because it isn't little.

I'm with Model12Win on this. While well made, it big, heavy, limited capacity for its size and weight. I have shot 2 of them. The trigger is pretty horrible. If this is going to be a carry gun, there are just so many better choices.

So a better question would be, "Is there any practical reason for you to buy one of these terrible trigger, big, heavy, limited capacity derringer behemoths?"

If you just want one, buy it, but it really isn't practical compared to other options.

I think in .410 they make a good dedicated snake gun, but that's about it.
I'm not a fan of .410 in a ridiculously short barrel.

For a dedicated snake gun, I think I'd rather have the .38 Special version with shot capsule loads. ...Or even a reliable Cobra* 'standard' (small frame) in .22 WMR with shot loads.

*(Haha. I made a funny.)

If you want it, buy it. If you are happy with the very questionable results you may have in case you are confronted by a dangerous situation, b u y it and carry it. If you will settle for buying it and fooling around with it, don't bother doing all the math, do what will make you happens.

Just keep in mind that there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of editing acted and/or press professional carriers and even trainers who would tell that using a two shot derringer as your only concealed carry weapon is not smart. I don't think that you will find very many people who will support the idea.

Back when I was a teenager, I actually considered this idea, but decided to carry a big freakin knife instead. It was easier to open canned goods with a knife.

For a dedicated snake gun, I think I'd rather have the .38 Special version with shot capsule loads.
:confused::confused::confused:
Not sure why less than half the ammount of shout would be a better thing.

But back to the topic.
It's hard to tell from the OP if he is looking to get talked out of getting a Bond Arms, or wants to be talked into getting one.
If this is a serious consideration, a little background on what Bond Arms, and what the intended purpose is.

Back when I was a teenager, I actually considered this idea, but decided to carry a big freakin knife instead. It was easier to open canned goods with a knife.

Of the two, and I wouldn't want to have to rely on either, I'd choose a good bowie knife over a Bond Derringer in a fight any day of the week. At least I don't have to 'reload' the knife after two stabs.;)

Seriously, from any possible practical standpoint with an eye towards carry, the answer is NO!!! ANY quality snubby is a better idea for carry than one of these. I had to talk one of my friends out of this same thing. It was like he had momentarily abandoned all ability for logical thought... Finally he settled on a nice S&W snub.:)

i have a couple of bond arms. they are indeed expensive niche pieces but i like them. very sturdy there is likely nothing that will make a b.a. inoperative. a spread of 410 handgun buckshot, i.e. 2x3 balls, at close in self defense range works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back