Help!! Savage MKII TR on the Fritz!

Hey guys, finally got my MKII TR in from the shop after ordering it 2 months ., ago. I have a caldwell swivel bipod on it, and a Nikon M-223 3-12 mounted in a good set of steel rings.

I finally get it out to shoot and bring Federal standard 40 grain, winchester 32 grain, cci velocitor, cci stinger, centurioun, and wolf match ammo along with me. I shoot it at the fifty yrd line, and with "every" group that I produce it brings a terrible sight to see.

All ammos produced 5 shot groups averageing 3 to 5 inches at ONLY 50 YARDS!!

Help!!! I don't know what to do guys. i'm shooting off sandbags, all the screws are tourqed, the rings and base are good, the barrel is totally free floated.
WHAT CAN I DO?? I WAS TOLD UPON ORDERING THIS RIFLE, THAT IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE TACK DRIVER!! ?? !!

Attachments

• savage 1.jpg
    savage 1.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 41
  • savage 2.jpg
    savage 2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 38
The barrel may appear to be totally free-floated, but on firing, could be touching on the left side just enough to cause groups to be diagonally strung out.

You should check the float with the rifle in a horizontal position, with the end of the forend resting. The stock may be flexing slightly, causing the barrel to touch when vibrating. A barrel needs more clearance than the dollar-bill test; 1/16" is minimal.

The only other causes I can think of are:

1. Front mount screws bottoming out before fully tightening (if blind front screw holes);

2. A scope problem. Try another scope.

If it were a firing pin problem, groups would string vertically and they don't do that.

I doubt that bedding the action would shrink groups as much as needed, but you could loosen the stock screws and see if the action bedding is good by moving the barrel left and right. If the action doesn't fit well, it will squirm around like a guilty murderer under cross-examination.

hate

Man, a rifle that won't group....ain't it the pits.

First thing I would do is put another glass (scope) on it and see if it'll group. Scopes do go haywire, and can come from the mfg haywire, so I would put a trusted, proven piece of glass on your TR and shoot again.

The rifles do have a rep for accuracy, and mine IS a tack driver.

After that, I dunno...if not the scope, any chance the barrel is really, REALLY, fouled? In fact, I'd clean the snot out of it, shoot it, then try a new scope.

After that , with no improvement, Savage CS is pretty good and I'd ship it back.

Back