HELP-SA wants to turn my M1A Bush into a post-ban!

10mmman

I sent my M1A Bush rifle to Springfield Armory to have them look at it- it always shot quite high w/ sight bottomed. My gunsmith thought it might be the threds. I called SA & Randy said that they have to replace the reciever (guess the gunsmith was right) and that it would have to be a post-ban from now on. I found information on the ATFs FAQ page that said if the old frame is destroyed, a new reciever can be marked with the same serial number, or a "marking variance (27 CFR 178.92) can be obtained. Does anybody have any information about this they could share with me? It came with a folding stock, I want to be able to use it, & retain it's value. Thanks

I talked to Clint at Fulton Armory about the posability of replacing the reciever on my old Federal Ordinance M-14A. He told me the same thing. No matter how its done, your rifle will have to be modified to post ban if the reciever is replaced. :(

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

That's funny, I always heard that they can replace the reciever and keep the pre-ban SN on the new one. But that's just what I've heard.

That is BS. Ask about it on Ar15.com. Guy named Stokes had Colt replace his AR lower, brand new lower with his ser # on it, and it is preban all the way.

If your M1A is a preban, don't let them screw you out of a sizeable wad of cash by making it a postban.

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!

someone is taking you for a ride. oly-bushmaster-and other ar mfg will replace old for new if damaged with same serial # so will glock if requested. as well as harley davidson on damaged engine cases. call them back and talk to someone higher up in the food chain. better yet find a gun friendly laywer to do it for you.
of course springfield may not have the same policy. and also write them a letter too.

You have a m1a shorty with folding stock that is a pre ban....I had the same thing and the only thing different wasthe lackof a bayonet lug and the folding stock.....so are they talking about putting the rifle in a full stocked configuration? I was unaware they made this variation with a bayonet lug attached----if the problem is the stock, have them send it back to you, they dont need it to make the corrections. But I guess with these convoluted laws that you cant add that stock to anything but the original or pre ban serialed numbered gun that was manufactured that way.....It dosent make sense that they cant reissue that number on a new receiver. If I have the front strap on a hi-power checkered, you use to be able to get permission to move the serial number to a different location on the frame...........Id keep pusing the springfield hirearchy and see if they give. But it could be fear of the atbf at this point/......fubsy.

I've heard the same thing at ar15.com where one fellow had his Colt lower replaced by Colt. It took 9 months but when it was done, his original slabside was replaced with an up to date mag-fenced lower. He was happy as a clam.

Suggest you contact ATF and if they affirm, send copy of letter to Springfield Armory. Then again, it could be a company policy. :(

Not being one to sit back & loose pre-ban status & have a folding stock I could never use, I called the local ATF & quoted the ATF's FAQ page (paragraph O-7.) The agent gave me the number to the Firearms Technology Branch, & I spoke with someone named Rick there, he confirmed it is leagal to destroy the old reciever & remark a new reciever. I called Randy (in customer service at SA) back and told him that I had talked to ATF, & I knew it was not a legal problem, it was up to SA to make sure I didn't end up with a post-ban. He told me they would do it, but that it would take a minimum of 6 months. (I think he may have been trying to discourage me.) I said "fine, I can wait." Hopefully I'll have a folding bush pre-ban manufactured in 2000 someday. Thanks for all the input- it helped strenthen my resolve.

[This message has been edited by 10mmman (edited June 08, 2000).]

Ok, I see where I made my mistake. I was talking to Clint about replacing the Fed. Ord. reciever with a Springfield. So it seems that the factory can do it, but aftermarket shops can't.

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Back