Help.... S&W 1076 Questions.....

Birch

First of all... please don't flame me about the sell out. Now that that's out of the way...

I have a chance to pick up a 1076 for a good price, $400 with 2 mags. The pics look like this gun has hardly ever been used. Any comments on this weapon... likes, dislikes, things to look out for...

Cheers!

Birch

Have you picked one up and held iit? Th grip just doesn't quite feel right to me. I like S$W revolvers but the semis leave a lot to be desired. My .02

If i'm correct this is the one with the sig-type decocker right? Here in KY the State police still used the 1066 10mm and they are having a hard time getting S&W to make parts so they can keep the gun going. If you ever have any breakage you may have a very hard time finding parts for the gun. I personally would love to have a s&w 10mm just to plink with on occasion, but I wouldn't want to shoot it a lot and have something break. Get some other opinions though, they may differ a lot from mine.

Greg

That is about the price I got mine for. I have been pretty happy with it, plus magazines are still pretty abundant at shows. A mag will run you about $25 or so.
An armoror warned me about the decocker, saying to treat it lightly when you use it. Don't manhandle the thing or it can get out of sync. That is the only concern he had with it. You will need to find an armoror who has taken the auto(specifically the 1076) course if it goes down.
I find it to be accurate on a B 27 and a TQ 15 target, enough to qualify with a perfect score.
It certainly ejects magazines quicker than my 4506, and balances quite nicely in my hand.
Most ammo is going to be weaker than the original 10mm load, so wear and tear should decrease.
I think most of these guns are police trade ins. That said, they should only have several hundred rounds through them. Holster wear should be about the only thing wrong with it. Most cops shoot once a year in qualification, so the gun is probably just broken in.
If worse comes to worse, call Smith and see if they have parts, or Numrich Gun Parts Corp.
If you don't like it, mine is in need of a twin.

My 1076 has eaten everything that I could jam into its metallic throat. I have had that heavy punk now for 7 years and it is a fine pistol. A little on the heavy side, but still a very nice pistol.

I have heard stories about "babying" the decocker, but I have yet to have a problem with mine (knock on wood).

My 1076 has taken a back seat to my G20, G29 and my Para-Ordnance P16 that I have rechambered to 10mm.

You are no more a sell out then Kimber or Weatherby!

Derek

Good gun at a real nice price. I'd snap it up. Don't worry about being a sellout as the gun is used and likely preagreement.

As long as it is pre-agreement...

..& used you are not a sellout - so go for it if you like it.

I had a 4516 S&W that was a very reliable gun. However, as a CCW piece it was too heavy for me - & from the comments here it would seem the 10MM is also. Are you going to use it as a range gun?

It's too bad about S&W. I guess if they can survive on building bicycles, marketing clothing, & selling forgings to other manufacturers that's OK. But as far as I am concerned, their gun business can go under unless they go public with backing out of the agreement. Last I heard they were going to some agencies offering to lease their guns. Sounds like they are stumbling.

My father in law just purchased a 1066 10mm and frankly I am NOT impressed.
Razor like grip,long and very narrow, uncomfortable to say the least.
Gritty feel to the trigger..made me think of a Llama.

GregM: the KSP (as well as the Louisville PD) are trasitioning to full sized glocks in 10mm.

Back