help: Remington 700 thumbhole special run vs Browning m-1000 eclipse

samueldomon

Inactive
hello guys. I'm looking forward to buy a rifle and I did a lot of research. I stopped my self on the new rem 700 thumbhole special run and the browning m-1000 eclipe because i like the look of the gun. I know they are both good guns. I want to know which one would be better. On the browning I kind of prefer the detachable magazine and I think the safe is easier to handle. But I don't know if you guys could tell me on the performance of the gun. For the caliber I was thinking of 300 win. mag, but I'm not sure yet. Could you tell if you have experienced the thumbhole feature and tell if tou know about those rifles. Thanks

Is this the Remington thumbhole rifle you're referring to?

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1187&section2=1724&section3=1952&ID=9367

If so, my brother just picked one up a couple weeks ago, in .300 Win. Mag. for elk and moose hunting. He put a Leupold 3-9x50 on it, and we sighted it in last weekend.

I can't comment on the Browning, but the Remington has a detachable box magazine as well, and the safety is a thumb-actuated lever that is up behind the bolt handle. The thumbhole stock is very comfortable to use, I found it easy to grip and handle the rifle one-handed, even though it is a fairly heavy gun.

The 26" barrel is fluted for faster cooling, though after a 24-round session, we didn't notice it heating up at all.

The trigger did not have any noticeable creep, and broke crisply, though I thought it was a bit heavy. This may smooth out the more we use it. One thing we both noticed was that occasionally the bolt was a bit difficult to close. This may also work itself in once we use it a bit more.

Having never fired a cannon in this caliber before, I thought the recoil was ... significant. It packs a bit of a punch, as far as I'm concerned. If it were my rifle, I'd look into a Limbsaver recoil pad, but that's just me.

Weather conditions were not optimal, we had about a 30-mph rear quartering wind, which made us a bit wobblier than we usually are (we didn't have any sandbags or a bipod with us to help steady our aim, just my range bag), but our best group was just over an inch at 100 yards, with Winchester Super-X 180-grainers. We're going to re-zero it with Hornady Superformance ammo this weekend, as this is what he'll be hunting with.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
McClintock

Back