Help re: Steyr SSG PII

Mil__Dot

Inactive
I just picked up a nearly-new Steyr SSG PII (.308 heavy barrel, 5 rd detachable magazine) with a Zeiss Diavari-C 3-9x 36mm scope in quick release mounts (not sure who from). My first Steyr - great rifle - seems to be a tack driver as is, but I'm upgrading to a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 M3 Long Range just the same. The new scope will have a 30mm tube (as opposed to the 1" tube on the Zeiss) -- where can I get replacement quick release mounts to fit this rifle? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If the 1" rings you have have inverted triangular-shaped levers on them then they are probably the stock Steyr rings. Mine came with the rifle and are very tight fitting in the grooves. I have an old Kahles ZF-84 on mine.

Try :
http://www.gsifirearms.com/retail/s-acc-retail.html

This is the GSI site (Steyr importer). BEWARE, however, as the suggested retail price for the 30mm QD rings are EXTREMELY STEEP! ($244+!!)

- Ron V.

------------------

Mil-Dot

I just ordered an SSG PIIK that will be in this week. It's my understanding that your rings are the only ones that fit the rifle and are made by Steyr. I think they run something on the order of $240 from GSI. As of last week they didn't have any 30mm in stock. I'm still mulling over the scope choice for this gun, but since I could only get the 1" rings, I'm probably going to get the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical scope as it has a 1"tube.

J.T. Weston is right, sort of.....

Leupold Quick Detach Rings in 30 mm will also work, but are not recommended by the guys at GSI. I have the 3.5x10-40 M3 on a Tactical Scout and had it mounted in the Leupolds until the Steyr non-removable mounts came into GSI. They were a bit on the pricey side, but the design fits the rifle exactly.

The Leupolds had to be torqued on pretty tight as they had a smaller clamping area when compared to the Steyr version.

If you are interested in the Leupold's, drop me a line and we'll talk price.

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!

Yes, I believe, based on hksigwalther's description, that they are the Steyr factory mounts. I've already ordered the Leupold M3 scope with the 30mm tube, so I guess I will have to get a set of the Steyr quick release rings to match (thanks for the offer nonetheless, DblTap!). I'll be calling GSI this morning....thanks again!

Mil__Dot

Back