HELP! Question on High Standard Double-Nine .22 revolver

TooTech

I recently purchased a used High Standard Double-Nine .22 revolver. This gun is a double-action, with a steel cylinder and steel 4" barrel, with the frame and grip made of aluminum. The gun is styled somewhat after a Colt SAA.

Unlike the Colt SAA, the gun has a swing out cylinder with a star extractor that dumps all the empties with one push of the ejector rod.

And now, FINALLY we get to my question: there is no spring pressure to return the extractor star back into the face of the cylinder. You have to pull the ejector rod back forward, before closing the cylinder back into the frame.

Am I missing a spring somewhere, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance!!

that's not normal, the extractor star on my Double Nine springs back after ejecting fired brass. sounds like you need a new spring.

Mine doesn't spring back either, don't ever rember it doing so. The diagram in the Gunparts Corp. catalog does show a spring, mine must've been broken for a long time now.

I`m betting a previous owner took the gun apart.

Probably lost the spring and didn`t know where to get one. I did that with a High Standard once and was lucky to find the spring after it took off! It`s under a lot of tension and could put your eye out. Where have we heard that before? If that`s the case, maybe Wolf has it or possibly Numrich Arms.

Hi, guys,

IIRC, the earlier ones did not have a spring, then there were so many complaints that they put one in. So I think either way may be correct.

Jim

Mine is definately an "older" one, my Father bought it new it was the first handgun I ever fired well over 40 years ago.
Gunparts Corp (Numrich) lists the part number but also a disclamer that all parts may not be available.
Mine will not work in double action, works fine singe. I think replacing the cylinder stop assy. might be the cure but not sure.

Man, does this bring back memories!!! Other than a BB gun and pellet gun, the High Standard Double Nine was the first real gun I ever had. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I put through it, but it was a great little gun.

I remember something broke in it about the time I went away to college, so I left it with at my parents house. I haven't thought about that gun in a long time. I'm going to ask my folks if they still have it. I'd love to get it back and fix it.

Thanks for the memories!

Ah, memories! I have an old Double Nine, Series W-100, with the alloy frame. Numrich does not list this series, only W-102 thru W-106. All of the models they list show an ejector return spring. My W-100 has NO spring, and perhaps never did. It would certainly have been a nice improvement. I acquired my pistol in 1970, but it was said to be about 15 years old at that time. The previous owner said that he had acquired it in exactly the same condition (without a return spring).

Mine is a good shooter and I use it mainly to introduce newbies to the sport; the grip is simply too small for my hands.

Survey says!

So it seems like there is such a thing as a Double-Nine without a return spring, especially the earliest model.

I had checked the Gun Parts catalog and had seen the return spring listed, but it struck me as strange that a coil spring would have broken, and even stranger that someone would have taken the gun apart JUST to remove the broken spring without putting in a replacement.

Also, there is NO evidence of the gun having been worked on. The pins are pristine, with no sign of having been "punched out".

Guess I'll just have to be real careful to get that extractor star seated before closing the action.

Thanks to all who responded!

Back