Help! Proof markings on Sig P228

ivan9mm

Inactive
After a long waiting period, I just picked up my Sig P228 yesterday but found a problem. Upon examination of the frame & slide, I found that the gun did not have any proof markings. Only marking was the serial number on the frame.

I asked why and was told that they will call Sig to find out for me today. They assured me that this was a brand new Sig from the factory and that I had nothing to worry about. Aside from no proof markings, the gun was also missing the test target that is supposed to ship with each new gun. Since many friends of mine deal with this shop without problems and trust them, I went ahead and took posession of the gun.

Frustrated and worried about getting an immiatation or used gun, I went to another gun store and found that a brand new P228 they were selling was missing proof markings too! This shop owner told me that the new Sigs won't the markings because regulations have changed since the reunification of Germany. My gun has "Made in Germany" stamped on the slide, but an old P228 with proof markings will have "Made in W. Germany" Now I'm really confused and worried.

Did I get a factory new real Sig P228?
Does anyone here know what's going on?

[This message has been edited by ivan9mm (edited December 08, 1999).]

Ivan,

Congratulations. I just got my P228 yesterday and it's very nice. Did you get the solid aluminum guide rod? The finish came off of my guide rod but I'm getting another free from SIG Arms. I've never heard of a P228 lacking proof marks and that business about German reunification if baloney. Did you check the area under the dust cover? There should be three marks: two symbols and a double set of letters. See a post by P228 on sigforum.com about the SIG FAQ, there's plenty of info there. Do the serial numbers match on your pistol? The test target should've been included, it might have gotten lost by accident. Sign on to the siglist, many SIGaholics that don't read this excellent board participate on the list. Email me if you want a faster response.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Your sig may have been made in the US. the Sigs made here do not have the proof markings on them or a test target included. How do I know? Because a friend of mine bought a sig 239 and we went through the exact same thing when he compare his sig to my p226. Hope that helps

Thanks Tecolote.
Yeah, I stripped down the gun completely and search everywhere. No markings to be found anywhere. I was expecting to find the proofing marks they do in Europe as described in a document I found on the web regarding Sigs and other firearms manufactured in Europe.

I know what the markings look like because I can see them on my brother's Sig P230 and Beretta 92FS.

BTW, I don't think my guide rod is aluminum, but I'll check again. It's looks more like steel. Which is better?

I'll also post this on the Sigforum as well.

Thanks and congrats to your purchase as well.
Sounds like you got a better gun.

Ivan,

Don't be hard yourself. You and I got one of the world's finest DA/SA autos, the P228. This is something that might actually increase the value of your pistol. P228s are made in Germany not the US so a pistol that got away without proofing might actually increase in value. It seems to me like you got a sterile M11, the military version of the P228. M11s don't get proof marked but instead they're stamped M11 and US Government Property. Perhaps you got a contract overrun that wasn't stamped M11. I'd call SIG Arms pronto. Rest assured that SIG Sauer doesn't sell junk and if you did by some miracle get a lemon SIG Arms will stand 100% behind their product.

I don't know which guide rod is better, I juest like the look of the stamped steel rod, the one with the hole that runs the length of the rod. I got a solid one that's now standard on SIG Sauer pistols.

Y'all got me worried now! I have a P228 as well, and have had it now for almost 2 years. Mine has "Made in Germany" stamped on the slide, and 2 marks next to the serial #, as well as several marks on the bottom of the slide, under where the guide rod shows (is that the dust cover?). Are those the proof marks that have been mentioned?

Forgive my ignorance preeze!

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

My August, 1997 vintage P220 .45 lacks the proof marks and test target, so it must not be an uncommon occurence.

Darthmaum,

You have nothing to worry about. What you see on your Sig are the proof marks I was looking for which is absent from mine.

I just spoke to my gun dealer and Sig customer service regarding this issue. Here is what what I was told by both parties.

SigArms are importing individual components such as barrels, slides, and frames for assembly here in the U.S. Since the guns did not leave Germany as a whole unit, it did not go through the proofing houses in Europe, and therefore, no proof marks on them.

I feel a lot better now, but I still wish I had one that left Germany as a complete gun.
After shooting some rounds tonight, I will probably love it even more!

Ivan

Ivan,

Range report please! I'm glad you got the scoop. So do you have the solid or hollow guide rod?

Darthman,

Check out http://www.idsi.net/~cavan/IIIC2q2....ited by Tecolote (edited December 08, 1999).]

Ivan, I have a few SIG's, some old, some brand new, and all of them have the German proofmarks on the underside of the slide, whether the frame says "made in Germany" or "made in W.Germany",... with one exception. The slide on my P229(brand new) in 40S&W does not have the German proofmarks because, as I was told, it was manufactured here in the States by Herr Ruger for SIGArms and therefore was not inspected by a German approval house. I'd be real interested in knowing what SIGArms's response to your inquiry is....Dan in GA

You folks have got me all tore up. I have a NEW Sig P220.45 in two-tone. It has NO proof marks on it!! On the right side of the slide it says P220 Made in Germany and on the left side it says Sig Sauer SIGARMS INC. Exeter-NH
What is the deal with my Sig? Is it made in Germany, USA, both or what? PLEASE give me some insight !!

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

[This message has been edited by Glocks&Sigs (edited December 08, 1999).]

I think Ivan kindly got the scoop with his call to SIG Arms (see above), some P Series pistols are imported as parts and assembled here while others are put together in Germany. Of course the P229 and 40SW and 357 P226 are another story. So long as it says SIG Sauer it's top notch.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I have a SIG P229 in .40S&W.

It does NOT have any proof markings. On the frame, it says "Made in Germany" while the slide has "SIGARMS Exeter, NH."

As far as I understand (for SIG P229's anyway), the frame of the gun is indeed manufactured in Germany while the "new" one-piece stainless slide is made in New Hampshire (hence the reason for no proof markings).

Many SIG lovers I heard from claim that 1) the US-made one-piece slide is stronger than the three-piece slide from Germany while 2) the workmanship on the German-made slide is better than that on the New Hampshire-made slide.

That's right, folks, my SIG is a German-American gun (unlike My H&K USPc, which is a completely German-made gun and sports proof marks all over the place).

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Back