Help! Problem with new BP rifle

willsjeep

I just finished up my first range and cleaning session with my just purchased BP rifle.
The problem is, I ran out of ammo! This hobby is going to be costly!:D
I got off work this morning and went to my back field to try it (Traditions Bolt action 209 BP rifle). Once I got started it was to hard to stop. I knew I enjoyed my 1858 revolver, but the rifle was a different kind of fun.
At 50 yards I was grouping in 4" with 240gr sabot round over 2 50 grain pellets. Is that reasonable for this type of load. When season does come in, 50 yards will probably be my max range shot due to the areas I hunt.
Also, the manual reccomended only loose powder (FFg) for ball & patch. Since all I have right now is pellets, I did not try the patch & ball, but am really looking forward to it.
Question: Why is loose powder reccomended for ball and patch? I know that you are supposed to push a ball all the way down on loose powder, but the pellets do allow a little air gap around the charge.
Thanks,
Will:D

The bolt action rifles usually have a faster barrel twist rate which allows them to shoot heavier & longer concial bullets better than patched round balls, especially with the larger hunting powder charges.
They are probably recommending loose powder for patched balls to help you obtain better accuracy by using smaller powder charges. By using the loose powder, you can work up a smaller custom powder load by experimenting with small increases in powder, say 5 grains at a time, starting from a minimum level of maybe 35-40 grains or so at 50 yards. But you shouldn't expect the best accuracy from a fast twist barrel with patched round balls. But they can still be fun, even if only shooting small targets at 25/30 yards with 30/35 grains of powder. ;)
You accuracy so far seems very reasonable, but you can save money by shooting less powder at 50 yards and by using lead bullets instead of jacketed (especially for practice), as long as they are the right diameter for the sabots, and approximately the same weight as the bullet that you have sighted in for (but that shouldn't matter too much). You can always buy your sabots and bullets seperately in bulk packs, or try cast bore size bullets from outfits like this (try with either sabots or Wonderwad Bore buttons over the powder, they may let you mix and match different bullets & sizes.):

Home:
http://www.blackjackhill.com

Muzzle loading projectiles:
http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/in...Path=1&zenid=ac931f1c18c5e02e146a04a21de633dd

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and links Arcticap, I will visit them as soon as I finsh snooping around here for the day, my bedtime is coming fast, so it won't be long!(12 hour night shift bites at times!)
Thanks,
Will

Will,

Go to your local gun shop and buy your sabots in bulk. I think they are 50 to a pack at around $7.50 or so. Buy your 240 grain 44 magnum pistol bullets by the box of 100. around $9.00 to $14.00 a box (according on what you like). These work great in your .50 caliber BP rifle, and beats hell out of paying $1.00 a shot in those packages from wally world.

Day after powder season, hit wally world for your pellets, as they will have them on special for about 1/2 price of what you will give any other time. I generally buy 2 or 3 boxes at a time, because I shoot mine year around.

If you are shooting an in-line rifle, you should be shooting groups that touch each other at 50 yards. with 2-50grain pellets you should be about 1" high at 50 and dead on at 100 yards.

Worst groups at 100 yards should not be more than 2 1/2".
If you are new to BP rifles, this will take some practice but is doable. Be sure to keep loading habits and rod pressure CONSISTENT from shot to shot, or you won't get the accuracy your rifle is probably capable of.

If your local gun shops don't carry the sabots you want, you can order them through Fox Ridge.

Back