Help Please: Gun Safe Recommendation

skyhigh96

Inactive
Hey all, I wanted to purchase a gun safe for my father in law since he is a retired police officer, and has four pistols that need storing. Him and my mother in law baby sit my daughter, and for obvious reasons safety reasons I wanted to make sure she did not have access to the guns.

I have no idea where to start, and have been shopping around Amazon, but honestly don't know what size safe to buy. I found one, but from the pictures it looks way too big. I know his guns are a glock, a baretta, and two .38 specials.

These are two that I have found:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00590GZSW/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

http://www.amazon.com/Stack--PS-1520-Super-Sized-Personal-Electronic/dp/B015OZBWTS/

I'm not looking for anything spectacular, maybe something in the $150 or less range. I just want to make sure my daughter can't access them. The prevention of theft is also important, but I'm not looking for something that is impossible to break into.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
My follow-up questions would be to narrow down the field a bit...

My own criteria were:
- Quick access (Biometric or simple button mechanism, no key-only design)
- Not too easy to access (kids can watch you key in the code, for example)
- Solid construction (no need to withstand a drill press, but no single layer of sheet metal crap)

I have a bedside quick access GunVault (http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-SV-5...d=1464038285&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=quickvault)
For "mass storage" I have a separate solution.

But honestly, I think you should work with your father-in-law to find an effective solution. If you guys agree that a simple safe for the 4 guns is what he's looking for, I would avoid the StackOn line, notoriously easy to open, not for criminals but for ANYONE with more than 5 minutes.

Quick access (Biometric or simple button mechanism, no key-only design)
Biometric, especially in that price range, is hit or miss. I haven't fount any that work well.

Either of the linked safes look like they can be carried out if not properly installed. I'm not sure if those have holes drilled for floor bolts or not.
I am quite certain either can be easily pried open.

A Homak security cabinet with tube locks properly bolted to the ground will offer pretty much the same security and a lot more space in that price range. I think the Homak is a lot better build than the Stack-on.

In that price range you aren't going to get much in the way of theft prevention. It will get you a "lock box" sufficient to keep a child out but any thief that knows anything about actually being a thief will only be delayed by minutes at best.

Still, if your primary goal is keeping kids out then $150 will definitely get you that.

Police departments, at least in this area, give away cable locks. These can be used to secure most of the guns effectively while allowing you to use a smaller more efficient means of access for a smaller number of firearms.

I have a Stack-on PS-15-20-B Biometric "Safe".

www.amazon.com/dp/B010UBS7NK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_54frxb47Z2WRF

I have a 4 pistol rack on the top shelf like this one. It has enough room to place another pistol laying down under it as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W88U6YC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_wngrxbAMYS125

The bottom shelf holds my spare magazines and pocket knives. The door is thick enough (3/16" steel) with the sides being thinner sheetmetal maybe 3/32" thick. Not going to resist a good pry bar but it'll slow them down (slightly). Make sure to bolt it down with lags to the wall/floor into a stud so it can't be carried away.

The biometric fingerprint reader works 98% of the time on the first try. The trick is to scan your thumb in many different angles and positions. I upgraded mine with a proper tubular lock and relocated the reset button to the inside of the cover and drilled a small hole to acess with a ballpoint pin. This prevents someone from trying to snake a wire in it to hit the reset button and inputting their own code.

Overall its not a bad lock box and I wouldn't hesitate to get one again... just know its limitations and dont expect it to be as sturdy as a $500 safe.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

we live in a flood zone so we cannot use really heavy safes
I went to "inventory cheap" or you can use slickguns.

I bought several stack on safes with combinations, biometric access and keys as well.

Here is the info for one of our forum members. You can find his info in the members section in the community tab.
a1abdj is the user name he has. I purchased a safe from him, good price, excellent advice, quick shipping

Gun Safes

I too am looking for a gun safe and could use some help. I ran across a Liberty HDX-250 Smart Vault at Cabelas. Just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on this. I am also considering a Fort Knox pistol box. Thanks in advance.

How old is your daughter?

Why do you think that your FIL, a retired LEO, isn't capable of making his guns safe?

Just seems there is more to this scenario.

I kept a loaded 357 in a nightstand when my kids grew up and had friends over; never an issue; but then I taught my kids about guns when they were old enough to climb on things and get into crap

I have a safe and that is where most of my guns live. There are no longer children in the house and I keep my carry gun close at hand with backup tucked away in unlikely locations.

When my kids were little, before I had a safe, the guns were in my closet and behind an keyed entry lock on the door to the bedroom. It was keyed to a different key than the front door. It was handy for when we were gone to work or out and left a babysitter in charge of the kids. Fast forward to the day in 1989 when my house was burglarized - they broke down the locked bedroom door. I hope the extra noise they were making is what caused them to leave before much was stolen. Three revolvers were taken. They abandoned two Ruger .22 auto pistols going over the back fence. The magazines were not with the pistols - my practice then and now is to store the magazines for semi-autos separate from the gun. My theory is they did not want the guns without the magazines.

For $100 I would have someone fab up a strong box out of plate steel. I would be sure to have a shielded hasp and internal hinges. Then I would paint it with hammered rustoleum and call it a day.

You won't get a worthwhile safe for $150. Either triple your budget or just go to a used office furniture store and get a locking file cabinet for $25. That will keep your child out of danger.

I want a gun case for my personal gun. Can Anyone help me by recommending some best case in a low price?

My budget is only 100$
Thanks

For $100 I would have someone fab up a strong box out of plate steel. I would be sure to have a shielded hasp and internal hinges. Then I would paint it with hammered rustoleum and call it a day.

In my area you wouldn't be able to get such a thing fabricated for $200.

He is in Bangladesh, so I'm sure $100 there goes further than here, especially on labor.

For $200+ price range you can get a good quality handgun safe.

7GA steel plate
Solid welded in place 3/8" internal hinge pin
Mechanical push-button lock
Recessed door with door jambs for pry resistance
Gas spring opens door automatically when combo is entered.
Holster that presents the gun to you in the exact same place every time.
Trigger is covered - can't grab trigger in the dark.

FAS1%2BSide%2BG17%2BSepia.jpg

Back