help picking a sa revolver?

scottycoyote

ive got multiple questions, not sure which forum to put it in but this seemed as good as any.

Ok, so ive been wanting a single action revolver in the old west tradition...doubtful i will ever find myself in a cowboy action shoot, but i will admit ive always wanted to play a bit with fast draw and general cowboy style shooting and would be doing so at my range, so id need a caliber i could shoot and not break the bank. Also i wouldnt mind the ability to use the gun as a woods gun (no brown bears but black bears are fairly numerous), so i was thinking maybe a .357 i could shoot 38 out of for target practice, or 44mag i could shoot 44 special from. I dont reload yet, but i have a lee press i can put into service.

Secondly which gun do i get? Blackhawk or vaquero or maybe something from uberti? WHich barrel length if im looking to practice draw and shoot? I dont mind buying a used gun, and id like to keep the price below $600.

thanks for any input

Well I guess my question is , why are you posing your question in a black powder (antique style gun) forum, when you list modern cartridge guns as your possibles?

And you are questioning .357 which is just an over fed .38
or 44 mag which in turn is an over fed 44.

If the gun is going to be primarily on your range and for plinking / target use and not subject to established ranges rules, then your decision would be which cartridge is cheapest to shoot, so you could shoot more.
However, if used regularly to hunt any game, then you have to decide what is the largest game it would be used for.
And of course check your state hunting rules to see if either are permitted.

And if not going to be in a cowboy action shoot, then you wouldn't need to possess a gun that meets THEIR specifications.
Normally either a black powder cap and ball or a 1873 / 75 era SA BP cartridge gun normally (but not always) in the 45 or 45 long colt caliber.
( yes I know there are some others allowed bu just being general here)

So back to the beginning. If no cowboy action to be involved, and you listed modern smokeless cartridge models and calibers. ??????

However a Ruger is a very well built gun. Owned a super blackhawk for over 30 years.
But I could also down load it to 44 and 44 specials.
Uberti also makes a fine revolver.
Price range under $600??? I guess that will depend on which gun you end up deciding on.
Black powder cap and ball are regularly new for under $400
Good luck whittling your choices down

sorry i did see the blackpowder on the forum, but i wrongly assumed the cowboy action just referred to them using single action revolvers like im interested in (style wise) and didnt realise it wasnt for modern smokeless powders. Ill try and put it in another forum

Howdy

You you have quite a lot of choices.

First off, just let me tell you that there is no Fast Draw in Cowboy Action Shooting. Fast draw competitors shoot blanks, CAS shooters shoot live ammunition. And revolvers that are used in Fast Draw competition are usually heavily modified to put up with the abuse Fast Draw subjects a revolver to.

So, your first choice is Ruger or Colt replica. You are not going to get a real Colt with your budget.

Rugers have a well deserved reputation for toughness and reliability. The mechanism in a Ruger is completely different than the mechanism in a Colt or colt replica. In addition, Rugers use coil springs, which are almost indestructible. With a Ruger you get a transfer bar built into the action, which makes the gun safe to carry fully loaded with six rounds. Rugers look similar on the outside to a Colt but as I said, they are completely different on the inside.

If you want a Ruger that looks mostly like a Colt, you go for the Vaquero, or more properly the New Vaquero. The Vaquero series of revolvers have fixed sights, just like a Colt Single Action Army.

The revolver at the top of this photo is an 'original model' Vaquero. These were larger than a Colt or colt replica, built on the same size frame as Blackhawk. The 'original model' Vaquero was available chambered for 44 Magnum as well as 45 Colt, 44-40, and 357 Magnum and a few other calibers. Ruger produced the 'original model' Vaquero from 1993 until 2005. It is no longer in production.

The bottom revolver in this photo is a New Vaquero. Ruger began producing the New Vaquero in 2005 and it is still in production. The New Vaquero is roughly 10% smaller than the 'original model' Vaquero, bringing it down to the same size as a Colt. The New Vaquero is only available chambered for 357 Magnum and 45 Colt. No 44 Magnum. The cylinder is not large enough to take the pressure of a 44 Magnum. Some special editions of the New Vaquero are available chambered for 44 Special, but not 44 Magnum

Vaquero%20New%20Vaquero%20Comparison_zpssvspxkjj.jpg

Your other main choice for a single action revolver from Ruger is the Blackhawk. This one is chambered for 45 Colt with an auxilliary cylinder for 45 ACP. The Blackhawk is built on the same size frame as the 'original model' Vaquero, so it is available chambered for 45 Colt, 41 Magnum, 357 Magnum and a few other calibers. If you want a 44 Magnum you will have to go for a Super Blackhawk. There are a few other specialty single actions in the Blackhawk line too.

turnlineBlackhawkSNmodified_zpse91b1bf1.jpg

Moving over to the Italian imports, the chief makers are Uberti and Pietta. Pietta used to be an also ran to Uberti, but in recent years their quality has improved.

This is an Uberti Cattleman chambered for 45 Colt. Ubertis and Piettas have a similar mechanism to a Colt. This means there is no transfer bar, so it is strongly advised never to carry them fully loaded with six rounds. If the gun should happen to fall and land on its hammer, it will most likely fire. Import restrictions require Uberti and Pietta to provide a safety device to prevent this, but many shooters remove them to make the gun more convenient and less awkward to shoot. There is one colt replica made by Beretta (the owner of Uberti) that has a transfer bar in it, but most do not.

cattleman02_zps83fdbdd2.jpg

Ubertis are the same size as a Colt and the mechanism is the same as that in a Colt. That does not mean the parts are interchangeable, they often are not. But they function the same. You have to put the hammer at half cock to free the cylinder to rotate for loading and unloading.

The top revolver in this photo is a 2nd Gen Colt Single Action Army, the lower gun is the Uberti Cattleman.

ColtSAAandUbertiCattleman_zpsbebf9444.jpg

Uberti makes a pretty good revolver, despite a few shortcuts, but one thing I do not like about Ubertis is they duplicate the old difficult to see 'V' groove rear sight of the 1st Generation Colts. Colt went to a much easier to see square groove a long time ago.

2ndGenColtandUbertiCattleman_zpsbe079bb7.jpg

Lastly, a word about reliability. Because the mechanism in an Uberti is basically copied from the Colt, which was modified in 1873 from the earlier Cap & Ball mechanisms, you are dealing with an outmoded design still produced for the sake of nostalgia. The interior parts of these guns are more delicate than the parts in a Ruger. I am not saying that they are going to break the first time you shoot them, but broken bolt/trigger springs do happen. They have happened to me several times. But at least Uberti seems to have replaced their relatively fragile leaf style hand spring with a coil spring these days.

P.S.

There is nothing wrong with you posting your question here.

The name of the forum is Black Powder AND Cowboy Action Shooting. Despite what some think, most CAS shooters shoot Smokeless powder, they do not shoot Black Powder.

Great response Driftwood, you are a real asset to this forum (and other forums too). I hope the OP reads your response carefully.

Not that I am recommending it but I have a Taurus Gaucho .357. It is the same size as a SAA and has the silkiest hammer action and the 4 click feel. They have a transfer bar. They have a bad reputation as being fragile but I have had mine over 12 years and have had no problems with it. Of course I only shoot .38 special in it. I have looked around for another one off and on over the years but all the ones I see for sale sell for more than I paid for mine new. But if I was to recommend to a friend on a new SAA in the price range you mentioned I would go with the Cattleman.

For strength, durability and longevity, some sort of Ruger and preferably a Vaquero. I like the adjustable sights of a Super Blackhawk but if you want to CAS, fixed sight Vaquero is closer.

For a more accurate replica of a Colt SAA, I'd go with Uberti. I'd shy away from Taurus as I don't trust their workmanship.

Just throwing in another option. You could check out the Traditions (Pietta) Frontier Models. They do have the transfer bar system that allows you to carry it fully loaded. They are a fine pistol and shoot great. I'm not touting them to be on Rugers Level or a close colt copy like the Cattleman. But a Fine Pistol no doubt.

This thing just opened another door though so be forewarned! :D It has left an insatiable urge to own something as close as possible to the real thing.

Back