Help pick my .38 ammo

BarrySDCA

Primary weapon a 5 shot airweight snubby .38 spcl revolver (442). S&W told me the revolver is ok with +P ammo. Which ammo would you pack for that "one shot stop" or as close to it as possible.

I'm considering Federal Hydrashock and NyClads...but feel free to offer any specific recomendadions.

Be sure and say why

Thanks!

[Edited by BarrySDCA on 01-18-2001 at 01:43 AM]

I have always been partial to Hydro-Shok myself. Is this revolver +p rated? If so, take advantage of it no matter what manufacturer of ammo you go with.

Go with the Nyclads, 125-gr. +P.

The bullet is very soft lead with a nylon coating and has a large cavity. This means that it won't lead your bore, but it has a very good chance of expanding to some degree even at snubby velocities.

I've been carrying these rounds in my small guns for years, and I'm very happy with them.

What I'm NOT happy about, though, is the difficulty I have in finding Nyclads.

The nod goes to Hydrashocks, which I recently have great success with accuracy-wise. Failing that in your particular gun, I always recommend at least experimenting with Winchester Silvertips.

Having read as much as possible about this subject, I carry the "FBI load", an unjacketed lead semi-wadcutter hollow point, +P pressure. I hope I never have to find out if I'm right....

I suggest the standard pressure (not +P) 125 grain Nyclad. My chronograph testing shows that from a nominal 2" barrel, the +P 125 grain Nyclad load gives only 30 fps more than the standard pressure load -- probably not enough to make much of a difference.

If your 442 is an original run, it is not +P rated (though, shooting a limited number of +P rounds will most likely do no significant harm).

If your gun is a 442-1, it is +P rated. If you want to subject it to increased wear that accompanies +P pressures for a 30 fps gain, that is your call. I would not criticize such a decision, as long as it was an informed one.

the nyclad 125gr standard (not +P) loading was designed especially for the j-frames when smith still owned the patents on nyclad. as a matter of fact, the loading was call (advertised as) the cheif's special. it was designed to get the maximum velocity out of a 2" barrel efficently.

with that said, i carry ferderal's personal defense hydrashoks (not +P) in my 642 as a backup to my sig 220/226. i just think the liquid theory behind the post is just way cool :cool:

my default loading is the 158gr +P LHPSWC

I'm partial to the Cor-Bon defensive 125gr load. Recoil moderate, minimal derrogation of night vision in low/no light shooting, good bullet performance from 2", 2.5" and 3" bbls.

In the interest of economy, I practice with nickle handloads having bout the same recoil and point of impact....then carry the Cor-Bons.

Sam

I prefer COR-BON's 110 gr 38 spl. It has a managable amount of recoil combined with about as much power as you can get in a 38 spl. I shot a pig in the head with one from about a foot away and it penetrated through the thick skull and in about 7". The bullet hit the spine on the way through and was fragmented when we cut the head open to check the results. The pig didn't suffer much either! And by the way, it was the best pork I've ever had!

And one more vote cast for the 158gr LSWCHP +P "FBI" load. Reputedly the best one shot stopper of all .38 Special loadings available.

Good luck...
Mike

PS: It's all I carry in my Mod 442 Centenial or Mod 60 Chiefs Special...it is an accurate round and not too hard to control if you will practice with the round on a regular basis.

I carry Federal Nyclad 125g non +P in my S&W 642. I can practice more and yeah the +ps hurt after awhile which tends to make me flinch in anticipation of the forthcoming pain. I tend to adhere to the logic of what LIprogun said above.

Back