help pick 5.56 ammo

dvdcrr

Looking to pick up 1000 5.56X45 at good price, and quality ammo. 55-62 gr. This for self defense primarily. Good accuracy, speed.
If you were going to buy 1000 what brand, vendor would you pick?

I don't buy ammo.
I load my own 223 Rem.

I was going to comment on the choice of an AR for home defense, but with the goings on in Virginia, i think an M60 and some Claymoors may be a better choice.
Preferably something with a Tungsen core.

I've tried a bunch of different loads; 55 to 62 grns. My 1/7 twist rifles tend to prefer 62, the best being Frontier and green-tip M885

I wouldn't be picking any FMJ for self defense, if I had a choice.

M193 or 855 ball ammo or equivalent is simply not the best choice for personal self defense. It is, however, the stuff you can get for the "best price".

When you go to a SP or some other kind of hunting bullet $$$ goes up.

I've always like doing business with SG Ammo in Stillwater, OK. Good prices, no taxes across state lines, and quite reasonable shipping.

SG Ammo has also been my go to recently. Usually their prices are among the cheapest. You could just do a search by filtering to 5.56/223 (unlike some sites, they combine 5.56 and 223 in the same search, which I prefer for time sake). Then filter price per round from low to high and start scrolling down looking for soft points and hollow points. Some of the cheaper steel case brands have sp and hp. Once you get into the brass case ammo with hunting style bullets, cost per round go up but you can still find these for 35-40 cents per round. This would be between $350-$400 per 1000 round case. Armscor and federal predator/varmint both offer a v-max option in the 35-40 cent per round range which i would consider a better close quarters defense round than fmj. The Barnul Bear line has a sp option I believe. Wolf and Tulammo have hp for 18 cent/ round or $180 for 1000. I dont shoot those brands but they’re among the cheapest you’ll find.

Im not experienced in knowledge of 5.56 for self defense as I’ve personally considered handgun rounds or shotgun to be preferred but that wasn’t your question. If others are in the house, the over penetration of a high velocity 5.56/223 would be a concern. Maybe slowing it down with sub sonic ammo would be a better option but you’ll pay as much for some of those as higher end sp ammo.

Last edited:
For self defense, I would go with something like Federal Fusion or one of the all copper projectiles like Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX. These rounds aren't cheap and you may want to get less expensive ball rounds that have a flight path close to your self defense rounds for practice.

Subsonic ammunition neuters the .223/5.56.

Do not buy ammo in bulk until you have tried a box in your rifle. The velocity doesn't matter. The price of the ammo makes no difference either. Only the accuracy out of your rifle matters.
Keep in mind, that if you hit anything you didn't want to, you are responsible. Even if it's a mile away.
The bullet construction/type matters. An FMJ will go a very long way and bounce off hard stuff. A varmint bullet will break up if it hits a blade of grass. M885 ammo is AP. You don't need AP.
Every shooter will say a "good price" is different from what you do.
"...55-62 gr..." Rifling twist will matter for the weight.
"...reasonable shipping..." Shipping prices are set by the carrier not the seller.

I used ammobypistolpete.com and my ar's are loaded with his 75 grain hog hammer hollow points. I use his fmj for range use. Very clean, and clean burning.

If you shoot a bit, ie Id say $1000/year or more in ammo, I highly reccomend buying a membership at target sports.

They are normally competitive but it gets you 8% off and free shipping on *any* order (not just bulk orders).

I keep a couple types of ammo around, thousands of rounds of mil spec 62 & 55 grain stuff that is as good as anything standing up shooting clay pigeons in a berm at 100 yards (and if your AR doesn't run right on such ammo then it's simply got problems), then I have maybe a few hundred rounds of various flavors of match ammo for bench shooting, long distance, sight in. I think that's how most do it.

As far as online ordering,I was happy with SGAmmo prices were good, shipping was reasonably priced, and the shipment came within the same week I ordered. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. I haven't shot any self defense ammo through my AR. It likes cheap, light fmj. The premium heavier weight rounds had poor accuracy. Not worth the Xtra cost at all. Rather disappointing, actually.

Do not buy ammo in bulk until you have tried a box in your rifle. The velocity doesn't matter. The price of the ammo makes no difference either. Only the accuracy out of your rifle matters.
Keep in mind, that if you hit anything you didn't want to, you are responsible. Even if it's a mile away.
The bullet construction/type matters. An FMJ will go a very long way and bounce off hard stuff. A varmint bullet will break up if it hits a blade of grass. M885 ammo is AP. You don't need AP.
Every shooter will say a "good price" is different from what you do.
"...55-62 gr..." Rifling twist will matter for the weight.
"...reasonable shipping..." Shipping prices are set by the carrier not the seller.
I feel like responding to T O'Heir's posts is an exercise in futility, but here goes.
Velocity can matter, depending on bullet type and target material. For example, M855 has a tendency to yaw in flesh at certain velocities. Knowing this, the BC, and the velocity from your rifle will give a zone distances with likely better effectiveness against humans.
FMJ might bounce, or tumble, or disintegrate. Varmint bullets may break up after hitting an obstacle, but a blade of grass isn't likely to do it. M855 is not AP.
Most carbine barrels with something like a 1:7 twist will handle anywhere between 55gr and 77gr pretty well, but some bullets will be a bit more accurate for the twist.

Back