Help on valuation 308

Dano4734

My brother in law inherited his dad's 1970's 308 winchester pump carbine. It has a cheap tasco scope but the gun hasn't had 50 rounds through it. He wants to sell it for 500. Is that fair?

I am assuming it's a Remington M-760.
If it's in very good shape I expect $500 is around top dollar.

If it's aged and beat up a bit, a price of about $250 is closer to real world value.

If it's about 90-95% condition the value would be around $375-$425.

These prices vary depending on where you are. Demand dictates price and if you live where rifles are not legal to hunt with the local value can drop a lot.

It depends a lot on where you live too. That would be a hard sell here at any price. In some places you might get $500. It also depends on how fast you want to sell it. With a $500 price tag you may have to wait a long time to find someone willing to pay that much. At $250 you'll tempt more people to jump on it.

The 760 is a very good deer rifle. I've never owned one, but everyone I know who bought one, kept it. It's a better overall rifle than the 742, IMHO. They're generally more accurate than the 742s because the barrel is free-floating.

I have an old 760. Scoped. Shot a deer with it 2 weeks ago. Good rifle, but needs a modified handguard ”plug” if you want the sling front end not attached to barrel. Accurate and reliable as long as you never carry it in the woods without a magazine - all junk has free access to the trigger mechanism with the magslot empty.

Original magazines are not available here and the brownells 7600 magazines won’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back