HELP! Old blackpowder shotgun

Sweden

Inactive
Hello! I just got this old muzzle loading side by side shotgun but i dont know anything about the Gun. Its marked with "damas philadelphie" so i was hoping that some of you could tell me something about it. Thanks!
Greetings from Sweden!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 62
She's a beauty !!!

It's a beauty, Damascus barrel and before you consider loading and shooting, you better run it past a "good" Smith. Most folks are going to tell you not to shoot it and with good reason. I always believe that every dog deserves one good bite. Personally, I'd like to shoot it at least once before it gets hung up. .. ;)

Thanks for posting and;
Be Safe !!!

Yahoo gives good advice.

Before anything though - slide the ramrod down the barrels - mark with tape and then lay next to the barrel - check it to make sure there is not a charge in either barrel. Over the years, I have run across many that were still loaded.

The advice to have a good gunsmith who is experienced with BP is a wise one. While it may appear fine - the barrels need to be checked to make sure that they are solid and secure at the joints where they are joined. Many are not as the solder has loosened due to use and the years. Not a big deal as that can be fixed by someone who knows how to solder barrels. But . . you don't want to be firing it with loose joints. Also check the bores for excessive pitting at the breech, etc.

Removing the breech plugs from a double is a lot trickier than removing one from a single barrel. One has to be removed before the other one can be. And . . a breech plug wrench made for the job will prevent any damage to the lugs. From the photos, it looks to be a nice double and worthy of getting into firing condition.

And . . . without saying . . BP ONLY! :roll eyes:

If you're going to shoot it eventually . . . measure your bores and you can get the proper size wads from Circle Fly. They are good folks - if in doubt on size - send them the measurements and get some different size samples from them - then order what you need.

And just be aware . . BP shotguns can be just as addictive as BP rifles and pistols! Enjoy! :)

It kinda looks like one that I have and I could find nothing on it other then it was made in India and the treads on the fasteners are hand cut.

I would start there an see if yours are machine cut meaning some kind of standard thread pitch.

I could not find anyone to check mine out so I did it myself with a bore light and big horse shoe magnet and iron shaveings to check for cracks in the Damascus. I didn't find any problems so I started low and worked up to 2 drams and then quit. If you have a crack the shaveings will line up on that crack as the crack bisects the magnetic field.

Back