Help needed with regards to this Shotshell

AwayToTheRange

Hello,
I am trying to help answer a question about this shell. The Lead pallets, are they covered in real gold or not? Has anyone come across something similar?

The data I got it from a clip that came up recently:

Made by IMI Vigevano Italia.
Lead total weight is 35 or 36 grams
caliber 12G x 65, No.5
product name, Gold 5, IMI Caccia
YoM is 1960 to 1970
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture01.JPG
    Capture01.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Capture02.JPG
    Capture02.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Capture03.JPG
    Capture03.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 79
Not gold, see the corroded pellets in picture 2.
I think brass plated lead. I have seen copper and nickel plated lead shot to increase penetration, no reason brass would not work.

Copper plated. Those are not uncommon today. Maybe cutting edge in 1970.

The idea is to get better patterns. As pellets move through the barrel many of the soft lead pellets will be deformed. After they leave the muzzle those not round will fly in an erratic pattern. Plating the pellets with copper makes them harder and less likely to deform giving tighter patterns. That is pretty standard for shells designed for turkey hunting

Hello Everyone. Copper plated seams to be reasonable.

One issue that comes to mind is that considering they are 50 years old, would the copper plating remain so bright, so golden like? I looked at the dismantling clip online and the pallets look as if these left the factory line last week.

Be nice if one could come across some documentation.

Hello Everyone,
My question has been answered since a new clip came up online, clearly indication that the pallets are plated in 24 carat gold. I am so happy because I personally own 1 of these in mint condition but with No.7 pallets not No5. Anyone interested here is the clip with the testing of the pallets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0JaH7Xh3K8

Thanks

I must admit of all the ways to bling out a shotgun gold-plated shot had never occurred to me.

Personally for me it wouldn't work out well. I mean, fire a shot, go down range to retrieve the pellets, fire a shot, go down range...etc., etc.

Thanks, I think, for bringing this up. Something I'd never even heard of before, although I guess I should admit that's really not hard to do.

I think you're mistaken with the cost of gold. Why in the world would anyone want to plate shotgun BBs with gold ? Gold is a very soft metal. There would be no advantage of gold plating or all gold BBs.

No mistake here, plating is real and it is real 24k gold plating. This manufacturer did these in the 1970's supposedly to increase the distance of the shot.

Of course you're satisfied it's gold plating. Because that's what you want to believe.
But, it's not.
And it's "Karat", not carat.
There is no reason to plate lead shot with gold that is just as soft as lead. I do gold plating quite frequently, and know just a little bit about it.
The video showing the gold testing solution was not even done properly.

(Bill DeShivs, I am convinced and it seams to me you are an expert, so I yield to your extensive and vast experience in the matter. Thanks for sharing your valued time and knowledge with the rest of us. With regards to your comment about Carat and not Karat, let me politely suggest you refine your researched on the subject as both terms are grammatically correct and both terms are used in your industry. As a matter of fact, Karat came from Carat. Ok than, have a wonderful day SIR.)

To the Community:
Personally, I am satisfied and have done extensive research that it is Gold plated and that the manufacturer had more than a singular reason to plate the lead. Reasons that some might be ignorant about.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST ENTRY ON THIS POST as I perceive no more added value coming from it beyond this point.

Regards to ALL who contributed.

Last edited:
Don't doubt it

While Gold has always been dear, the current price per ounce is very high.

While costly when the shell was made, Gold has greatly increased since then, far more than "inflation"

I have seen claims that plated shot will pull fewer feathers in to those birds that make it to the dinner plate.

Look at the cost of non toxic waterfowl loads. 4-5 bucks per round? I don't find it at all hard to believe that a manufacturer may have tried gold plating shot in the past.
Not to mention that gold plating can be very very thin. Not as costly as we might think today, I can remember when gold was what, 38 bucks an ounce?

Back