Help needed for CLEO signoff database.

freakshow10mm

On my website, I'm going to compile a database of CLEOs that will sign off on NFA paperwork, namely Form 1 and Form 4. This will be broken down by state and perhaps county in states with a lot of counties. There will be a rating system from how easy it was (want to meet and talk or just sign with no issues, etc) or what NFA items they will sign off on (maybe MGs and SBR/SBS are ok but hesitant about suppressors). I hope to have something like:

* State
* County
* CLEO name
* Rating
* Form type & weapon type
* comments

I don't want to ruffle feathers at all, but I am looking for factual information, not a "I heard from a guy who knows a guy" stuff. I want this to be as accurate as possible so that people looking for a CLEO sign off can see where in their jurisdiction they can go to. They can check the list, see if a CLEO will sign off and go from there.

If you can email me that information that would be much appreciated. The email for that is adam AT freakshowguns.com.

Thanks.

I can email if you want, but I'll post it here too. In Indianapolis/Marion County there are currently 2 CLEO's. The Sheriff, Frank Anderson and the Cheif of Police, Michael Spears. You'll get a signature if you ask, but there is a formal process. You go to the City/County building, drop off your forms, they're forwarded to investigations and then on to be signed (usually by the secretary for the Sheriff) and they'll call you when they're ready. Takes about 2 weeks.

* State - Indiana
* County - Marion
* CLEO name - Frank Anderson/Michael Spears
* Rating - 10 (out of 10)
* Form type & weapon type - Form 1's and 4's for everything except SBS (they're illegal here)
* comments

I honestly don't know thats such a great idea; if you want to find out if the sheriff or DA in your jurisdiction will sign it only takes a phone call to their office to find out. Thats what I did, and what countless thousands of guys did to get their signoffs before the internet - its really not that difficult.

On the other hand, if you compile and publicly post to the internet such a list of CLEOs willing to sign, you may inadvertantly expose some of them to political pressure to cease giving signoffs. Its a double edged sword - while it might make it easier for us to find out who signs and who doesn't, it also makes it easier for anti-gunners and their political opponents to know that same information and use it against them. For example, my sheriff will currently sign, but if it became widely known she did, I'm sure it would be a political liability in the next election.

Shaggy brings several very good points.
Remember the litter-box liners...I mean, newspapers publishing lists of CHL holders?
Imagine how much they'd love to publish your proposed list.

Back