Help! My Stevens 200 eats scopes!

shuttercat

Inactive
My father bought me a Stevens 200 in .30-06 for my birthday several years ago and it's been used very little because it has this interesting quirk of breaking scopes. The rifle was purchased as part of a package deal at a local shop, with soft case, two-piece base, and Tasco scope and rings.

The tasco broke on the second box of 180gr Rem. cartridges while sighting/practicing, the day before opening day of deer season.

The shop gave us store credit on an upgrade to a Bushnell Banner, which survived much longer, but now sits broken in its box, waiting for me to find the reciept to exercise the warranty.

I have a battered hand-me-down from my father's upgrade from some older Bushnell to a Sightron (neat scope!). I'm hesitant to mount it and fire the rifle until I fix what's wrong.

So, I've been looking at heavier stocks and more secure bases and rings:
-Does any Savage 10/110 stock fit the Stevens 200?
-Is there any advantage to a 1-piece base? Does it obscure my magazine access? Round receiver, long action like this? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=199583
-What's "good enough" for rings? It came with rings that look like http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=348587 and I'm not sure how bombproof/expensive I have to go.
-What's an appropriate ring height for this rifle?

Any insight/suggestions appreciated!

Maybe you just need a quality scope. The rings and mounts are staying tight aren't they? I'd just try to go with a quality scope on it and see if it holds up any better.

Buy BSquare Sport Utility rings instead of the Millett rings. They are as "bombproof" as you need.

Yes a one piece base will interfere with your reloading capabilities. The deer won't care.

Yes Savage 110 stocks will work with your Stevens.

USE Blue threadlocker on your threads when mounting your new base and rings. It will save you a lot of hassle down the road.

Buy a Leupold or Burris. A 250 rifle should wear at least a 250 dollar scope if you are serious about hunting.

Jimro

My Stevens in .308 Win was doing the same thing, breaking the retical after only a few shots, even with quality scopes. I bought a new Boyd's JRS laminate stock and went to the range the other day and went to the range to sight my rifle in and after 100 rounds down range, my scope is still good to go. I really think that the stock was torquing so much that it was causing the reticle to break. After I switched the stocks out, I took the OEM stock and I could twist it quite a bit using only a little bit of pressure.

I would go with at least a Nikon or Burris scope and Burris signature dual dovetail rings. The signature rings have the inserts that protect the scope and also allow for correction.

Make sure the rings aren't torqueing the scope. You can put a lot of stress on a scope if it's not mounted right at the start.

Check the action screw spacing . The newer stocks for the model 10 are center feed mags and the older stocks are stagger feed.

The 30-06 is pretty hard on trash scopes. Heck my 30-06 broke a Leupold 4X this past deer season (it was on the gun for forty years though). Get yourself a top quality scope and you'll be fine.

Check your rear receiver base. I've seen (more than a few times) shops sell the old style flat rear Savage bases for a round rear receiver (which your Stevens 200 is). If that's the case your scope is at an angle and is being pinched.

If your rifle is a centerfeed then yes, any Savage 110 (long action) stock with fit it. Remove the stock, if the internal box magazine is attached to the stock (not the rifle action) your rifle is centerfeed (most likely it is).

If you're looking for an economical scope that will hold up I'd recommend a Burris Fullfield II, probably a 3-9x40. They can be had for around $200.

Far as the rings and bases go, if you want to stick with a weaver style I'd look at the Burris Zee rings ( http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=424556 ) and Warne Maxima or Burris bases (remember they need to be for a Savage 10/110 Round rear receiver if that's what you have).

Two low end scopes on a 30-06.Two fried scopes.30-06 with 180 gr.is a thumper.Listen to what most are telling you.Get yourself good quality bases,rings and most of all a good quality scope.Bushnell Elite 3200s can be had for less than $200.Nikon Buckmasters or Monarch,Bushnell Elite series or Leupold are all good quality scopes.The Bushnell Banner is a good scope for the money,but IMO is more suited for lower recoiling varmint rifles,243s or smaller.Also the experts say,stay away from big,long,high magnification scopes on heavy recoiling rifles.Fixed scopes are the best way to go on heavy recoiling rifles.Do some research on the net for what scope you want.Don,t go to the store and listen to a salesman,most of them haven,t a clue of what they are selling you.Don,t buy anything made in China for a 30-06. Just trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes I made.I know $79.99 looks a lot better than $279.99,but it,s most diffidently not when putting it on a heavy recoiling rifle,like your 30-06.I have 4 scopes ranging from $90.00-$50.00,all say they are shockproof,all have warranty,all have been sent back,all have been fried twice by my 30-06 or 300 Win Mag.When you went from Tasco to Bushnell Banner you made a step foward ,but your not there yet.Just trying to help.Good luck,shoot straight.

This is one of those situations where throwing money at the problem will work. Get a good scope and bases.

Riggins, I've got the round rear receiver, and long action (5 inches and change). My bases are correct, but I'm thinking about going to a one piece base with integral rings in steel, and putting on a laminate thumbhole stock at the same time.
I'm smitten after my buddy got a stock about like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Boyds-Gunstock-Savage-10-SA-FT-Thumbhole-Apple-Jack_W0QQitemZ230436310928QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a7130f90, except left handed(!), and for his 300 Win Mag.
BurkGlocker, I've fiddled with the stock with the rifle disassembled, and I agree. It's much too bendy, and much too light. (I toyed with the idea of trying to stiffen and ballast the tupperware stock. I'd rather just install a lam)

Stillhunter, thanks for the input about fixed vs. adjustable magnification scopes. Supports what I suspected, and makes the mil-dot math _way_ easier.

So, I see recommendations for:
Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch, Leupold, or Burris Fullfield, on
Burris signature zee rings. Did I miss anything mentioned?
What about the Nikon ProStaff? (It's on sale right now)

There's an old saying "Buy the best and cry once".

Or you can buy inferior "cheap" stuff and cry every time it doesn't work and you have to replace it over and over and over again.

Here is a setup I use on a 30-06 Savage 110 (identical to your Stevens 200)...
EGW-guns.com one piece aluminum mount is about $40.
Weaver rings are about $25.
Leupold VX-1 scope is about $210 and has a lifetime warranty.

Or if you really want to pinch pennies, buy a used Leupold off eBay and send it to Leupold for a free checkup. If there is any problem (that isn't purely cosmetic), Leupold will fix it for free.

DnPRK: Wow! I didn't know Leupold does that!
Do I have to worry about counterfeits and chinese knock-offs mislabeled on ebay and gunbroker, or what?

I'm not saying don't buy a Leupold. However, if you do buy one I'd not buy less than a VX-II. I had a VX-I on my 30-06 for 2 years. In that 2 years it had to be sent into Leupold for repair twice. The first time after each shot the crosshairs appeared to be shaking. The second time it would shoot 2 or 3 shots in one spot then adjust it self somewhere else. It just wouldn't hold zero. 2 buddies also had VX-I's that had the same issue but on different guns. I see guys mention Leupolds and say they are good yet most don't mention what Leupolds. People that are new to the gun world then go to their local shop and the salesmen tries to sell them the VX-I only for them to later find out that the VX-I isn't that great. In general Leupolds seem to have a lot of positive reviews on here but a lot of those same guys say they won't use a VX-I or below.

BTW yes Leupold does have a lifetime warranty but so do many other scope companies. Some on here say it's better than other companies when dealing with customer support. I haven't been impressed with Leupolds customer support but can't compare it to other scope companies as Leupold's are the only ones I've had a problem with. I just don't trust them after having issues twice with mine and both of my other buddies that tried them also having the exact same issue and selling or trading them. Especially when the Burris is cheaper and quite a bit clearer.

If you don't want to spend as much as to get a VX-II or a VX-III I'd get one of the options I and others suggested.

Back