Help!! My magazines just fell apart!!

gryphon

Was doing some shooting today and of course what range session would be complete without taking taking the 1911 for a run.

About 3 weeks ago, I bought 3 magazines at a gun show. They are the kind with the 3 "weld" marks at the bottom on each side and the base plate has "COLT 45AUTO" stamped on the bottom.

I shot both the Mech Gars, then loaded up on of the others, fired off 2 shots and the bottom of the magazine came flying off, the spring flew out and the ammo soon came tumbling after. My first thought was that I had some kind of rupture. I inspected all the brass and it was in good condition. I dropped out the shell of the magazine and loaded another. This time, before I can even get to fire a round, the bottom flies off, the spring shoots across the field and I'm standing there holding 7 rounds of 45 in my left hand. The 3rd magazine wound up flying apart after about 4 shots. I finished up the rest of my session with the 2 MecGars without incident.

Any way to fix these, because now, I cannot even load them up with ammo before the base plate comes flying off. I'm thinking of just welding the plates on and then pitching the mags after they wear out. Any other suggestions?

You've about got it. I'd look at having them welded on, and used ONLY for practice. There's a ton of these substandard Colt .45 marked magazines floating around at the gun shows. Sometimes their sold as Genuine Colt or G.I. magazines.

Gryphon -

Save yourself the aggravation. Throw them into the nearest trash and write off the loss. I had to do just that with a Colt mag. I decided that throwing it away, and eating the money I spent on it, was a bargain compared to the aggravation and frustration it gave me. I now carry Wilson's, and some metal-forms that were a bargain and proved to be 100% reliable in my gun.

Good luck finding reliable replacements, and happy shooting!

At least you are consistant.....they ALL fell apart. And what better place for it to happen?. You learned without being at risk.

Sam

time for some Wilson Combat mags. They are pricy, but I have had mine for 5 years +, and have used them for IDPA and other local shooting events. No jams, they come apart easily for cleaning, and i hear are backed by a guarantee (never had to use it). Good luck!

Gotta go with Chiz45. After 54 years of shooting, including many, many "been there, done that" episodes, I go with the theory of "Buy the Best, and Only Cry Once".

I definitely agree with Walosi's philosophy on this. I've found that cheap stuff is more expensive than good stuff, because after the cheap stuff breaks or doesn't work right, you end up buying the good stuff that you should have bought in the first place.

Get Wilson mags. They work.

M1911

Back