HELP,my FEG Mark II in 22LR likes to shoot 3 round bursts.

mept

I went to the range to try to decipher why my FEG in 22LR will shoot occassional 2-4 round bursts. Here is just the facts:
1. Bursts occur only with Federal gold medal 40 gr.
2. No bursts occur with:
Win. HP's
Rem. Hi-Speed
Super-X
3. Bursts seem to occur after 50-75 rounds from an initially clean and lubed gun.
4. twice burst upon racking slide, finger off trigger, unsure of position of safety which is on the slide.
5. Range worker said it may be a defect in the sear. But he did not see how the gun fired first hand.
6. Bursts have occured from DA and from SA trigger position.
ANY TROUBLE-SHOOTERS OUTTHERE PLEASE USE YOUR DIAGNOSTIC SKILLS TO HELP SEARCH FOR THE CURE.

Hi, mept,

Look at a case that fired as part of a burst. If there is no visible firing pin mark, have the headspace checked. Slam firing in .22s is often the result of the bolt closing without sufficient space for the rim, so the rim is pinched between the bolt and the breech face, firing the cartridge but leaving no mark.

I suspect headspace, rather than a defective sear, hammer or disconnector, because it happens only with one brand of ammo, which may have slightly thinner brass, a thicker rim, or a more sensitive priming mix.

Jim

There was a post in a thread about the FEG SMC-380 on this board. A LEO examined a SMC-380 which had emptied its magazine (in 0.10 seconds) :eek: after the slide was dropped due to peening of the safety. The problem only occurred when the slide was dropped with the safety on. The gun was unsafe and was destroyed. Don't know if the design is the same or not. Good luck.

Mept, I echo Jim's thoughts on this one. It's almost obvious due to it only happening with one brand of ammo. I don't know, but I'd bet that if you miked the rims you'd find that the Federal is a few thousandths thicker than the others. George

Back