HELP My CZ is malfuntioning

cobraman

Yes I am serious. I have CZ75 PCR. It was flawless until now. I think it might be the mags. The slide is locking open with rounds still left in the chamber. I am using 15rd mags that I bought from Cdnn. They are factory. I am shooting Wincheste white box 115grain ammo. Do I need new mags? A new slide stop pin? The gun has about 300rds though it.

I emailed them this morning. Hopefully they will get back to me sometime soon. At least my Sig 228 works like a champ

It's your grip

Cobraman,

I feel your pain. I had the same thing happen with a CZ75 Compact. In my case, it started happening during the second range visit. No matter how much I adjusted my grip I couldn't keep the slide locking back during battery. I gave up after several range visits and moved on. Funny thing is that this has never been an issue with full size CZs. Make sure you're using a thumbs low hold, a thumbs high grip is usually the culprit.

Does it do this only with the 15 round CDNN magazines or does it also malfunction with the stock 10 or 13 round magazines? That's the first thing I would try.

If it does it all the time no matter what magazine you use I would call Mike Eagleshield (CZ USA's gunsmith) at (913) 321-1811. He is very helpful.

Joe

I wonder if the slide stop spring is too weak and the vibration of the recoil pops it up into the engage position. If there is no spring, maybe the slide stop is too sloppily fitted and is loose.

So, does this happen with the magazine the gun came with and if not, compare the two and tell me what you see. Take the slide off and insert each magazine. Study the relationship between the magazine and the slide stop and give us a sitrep.

you might want to give them a call. I think I remember reading something about their response to email sometimes leaves something to be desired.

UltimaSE

Are the 15-round magazines you are using full-sized CZ-75 magazines? A friend of mine uses these in his PCR without a problem. I ordered 2 compact "high-cap" CZ magazines from CDNN about a year and a half ago. I think one was genuine CZ and the other (obviously different in several ways) was for one of the CZ clones. I returned the clone magazine and exchanged it for a genuine CZ. I think one way of spotting the genuine CZ compact high-caps is that they have a curved metal floorplate (forming sort of a very small finger extension). I have a PCR as well, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet (I bought the magazines a long time before the gun).

Doug

I had a similar problem using EAA Witness magazines in my CZ-75. It would lock the slide back with one or two rounds still in the mag.

A missing or mangled slide stop/retention spring might do the same. To rule that out, can you push the slide stop out of the frame with just a little pressure or do you need to push on it with something hard? When you look through the slide stop pivot hole, with the slide stop removed, is the spring visible and how much do you see (I can see a little more than half the spring's diameter on mine)? Is the forward end of the spring resting on the shelf in the frame?

Might be coincidence but,

My full size CZ75b did the same thing last trip to the range. I was also using Winchester ammo, the 115gr range ammo from the Wally World ammo thread. Happened with both the 10 and 15 round factory magazines. I chalked it up at the time to a change from greased rails to oiled rails. Hmmm. Previously, I had run several hundred 125gr LRN handloads through with no problems,and a couple hunderd PMC 115 gr FMJ, plus 100 S&B115 gr FMJ. I bought 900 rounds of the Winchester so I have enough to try different things such as going back to grease on the rails and different grip style. Interesting.

SO far this has only happened with the 15 rounders from cdnn. I am pretty sure they are factory. I will have to break down the gun and look more closely for a slide stop spring. Thanks guys

I am starting to think this is a Mag problem or a spring problem or an ammo problem. Maybe the 115gr stuff is not hot enough for the gun? Crap! I hate that my favorite gun doesnt work.

FWIWas a follow up.

I returned to using a light coat of grease on the rails and fired 100 rounds of the Winchester white box ammo today through my CZ75b with no problems.

This morning I put 150 rounds of Winchester 115 grain range ammo (white box) through my brand new CZ75B with no problems what-so-ever. I only used the 15 round magazine. Nice pistol, poor grips.

My Dad had the same problem with a Browning BDA that he got after taking some advise from me,very embaresing. After tearing it down it turned out to be the slide stop spring was a bit out of place and a quick fix. That was about 4 years ago and it is still doing just fine. The CZ and BDA are along the same lines on that spring setup. As a side issue does anyone think a CZ .380 mag loader would work on a BDA mag? The Father has a time getting all 13 rounds into the BDA mag do to arthritis these days and was wondering if some kind of mag loader would fit it.:)

Back