Help! My computer says it's June 30, 2099

Futo Inu

and it won't let me change it back to 1999. This is the Windows 95 Time/Date program, so it's affecting all my other programs, too! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?! Already tried rebooting.

Its a Y2K problem. Go to microsofts website and look for windows 95 upgrades and download them all. Microsoft outlook had the same problem but it was April 30th. Someone else probably know better than I do so maybe they can help a little more.

Thanks. But after spending much time at the Microsoft website, I determined that this is fruitless with expert outside help. I can't even begin to describe the plethora of unknown techie jargon crap on those download webpages. There has to be 100 different things one can download related to Win95 Updates, and I can't figure out what if anything will help this problem or how to download it. Nothing is labeled "Y2K" or "Time/Date" in the descriptions of the downloadable updates, and the file names themselves of course are no help. Sighhh. So, is this going to be my only Y2K problem, or is this but a drop in the bucket of the nightmare to come for my office computer system?

You could always wait it out... :)

In 99 years you'll be due for an upgrade anyway! ;)

------------------
John/az

"They come, they eat, they leave...
"They come, they eat, they leave...NOT!!

Bill Clinton (aka: Hopper) Al Gore (aka: Molt) Janet Reno (aka: Thumper)

Ants UNITE!

When you first turn you machine on there should be a message to press a certain key to enter setup.
Go into the setup program.
Look for the time and date setting.
Change the time and date.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS.
Save settings and exit.

What type of machine do you have?
What version of Windows 95?
( Go to my computer,control panel, system---there you will find a number where it says system: Microsoft Windows 95, what is the complete number, with any letter following it, such as a, b or c--This is critical, the wrong update files will hose your machine.
Is this your home machine, if so are you connected via a cable modem? Is this machine connected to a network? (Lan, not the internet)?
Lastly are you on ICQ?
There are a couple of freeware programs that will adjust time/date to an atomic clock and bypass any Windows 95 settings. Give me the above information and I can help you locate the correct files to download.

------------------
(!)

Thanks for the rescue, Hal. Let's see:

System is Windows 95 4.00.950 B

Computer is clone, P1 233, 48M RAM, etc.

This is my small business office computer; and yes I'm on a LAN with exactly one other computer in my office (peer-to-peer), using Win95 NetBuie (& IPX) connection with ethernet cards and a RJ45 (?) cable and a 5-port hub.

Finally, don't know what ICQ is, so I suspect that I'm NOT "on" it.

And I didn't try to change the settings yet, as I thought I'd wait until I gave you the answers to your questions so you could further advise me. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited June 30, 1999).]

Problem solved, apparently. Went ahead and went into setup program, then "cmos" settings, changed back to 1999 and voila!

Jim K., based on my new knowledge of the future, I can tell you to put all of you money in Microsoft stock. ;)

K

If it happens again just yell, I have the info (unless they delete this thread) to find the update files and post or mail you the names and location to download them.

------------------
(!)

Aren't you shocked that your computer didn't just refuse to start? :) For the rest of the novice users (no offense), but go into your CMOS and set the clock to right before midnight on Dec 31, 1999 and watch the roll over. Test your programs, etc.

Hal is right about the boot setup. Your BIOS might not be Y2k compliant. During the bootup, there should be some info popping up about the BIOS. See what kind it is and do a search on the internet for that information. You might be able to find an upgrade if you're lucky.

See if your BIOS has an update and reflash it if it does. That should take care of your BIOS.

Avoid the actual Microshaft sites, they're about as helpful as a case of scabies. Do a search for "Windows 95 y2k updates" or something. Sift through the resulting garbage and download. If this is a business, don't you have an IT or IS department? If not, volunteer for it, but only for a double salary.

Back