Help Me With My Next Purchase

Brownstone322

I never thought I'd be starting one of these "What should I buy?" threads, but ... here ... I ... am. So my next semi-auto handgun is going to be this:

• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired
• "Hybrid" size, meaning a compact-length barrel (typically 4-inch) with a full-length grip (typically 17 rounds) -- what Glock calls a "crossover"
• For range use and home defense (not for carry)
• Aftermarket accessories not crucial

Until recently, I was sure it'd be a Glock 45, which I very much like. Before that, I was sure it'd be a Glock 19X, but the G45 has since supplanted that idea. HOWEVER ...

I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby. To that end, I have a variety of handguns (polymer, all-metal, SA, DA/SA, hammer-fired, striker-fired, full-size, mid-size, hybrid size) for that very reason -- because shooting different types and sizes of firearms is fun (to me, anyway).

So, as you probably know, there are some alternatives to the Glock 45. The FN 509, the H&K VP9 and the SIG P320 Carry come to mind. Maybe more. I'm open to opinions.

DISCLAIMER: Please refrain from:

• "Why do you want a shorter barrel on a longer frame?"
• "What you really need is an all-metal gun."
• "You'd be better off with [.40 or .357 SIG or .45 Auto or 10mm or a wheelgun]."
• "Have you considered [something that otherwise ignores the criteria I outlined above]?"

Please have at it.

The FN509 has had some safety issues causes some police departments to abandon it.

Apart from the Glock 45 listed, the VP9 is amazing. The P320 allows you to change frames easily and even convert it to a pistol caliber Carbine.

CZ has a few excellent polymer pistols that are good shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are a lot of options to meet your criteria. Look at Springfield's XD line up, S&W M&P series, Ruger has a few choices, Walther, Beretta APX, CZ P-10, you may like a Steyr...

Happy searching

I never thought I'd be starting one of these "What should I buy?" threads, but ... here ... I ... am. So my next semi-auto handgun is going to be this:

• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired
• "Hybrid" size, meaning a compact-length barrel (typically 4-inch) with a full-length grip (typically 17 rounds) -- what Glock calls a "crossover"

Until recently, I was sure it'd be a Glock 45, which I very much like. Before that, I was sure it'd be a Glock 19X, but the G45 has since supplanted that idea. HOWEVER ...

I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby. To that end, I have a variety of handguns (polymer, all-metal, SA, DA/SA, hammer-fired, striker-fired, full-size, mid-size, hybrid size) for that very reason -- because shooting different types and sizes of firearms is fun (to me, anyway).

Please have at it.

Springfield makes some of their XDM-s in that format. (Compact slide, proportionately long grip.) Let's see.....right here: XD-M® 3.8″ Full Size 9mm

Got a budget in mind?
Other than that, the only question that comes to mind is, "Considering you have a bunch of handguns now, why do you think you need another specifically for "range use and home defense"?" And "I want one." is a reason.

Got a budget in mind?

Fair question, and I originally thought $500 to $600 was implied by the way I framed the topic. But I get it: There are upgraded pieces in this category (such as the FN 509 Tactical) that list for more than a grand, and I'm not in that market. I'm looking for a basic model.

Other than that, the only question that comes to mind is, "Considering you have a bunch of handguns now, why do you think you need another specifically for "range use and home defense"?" And "I want one." is a reason.

'Cause I think guns are cool, and I always want more.

• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired

The Walther P99AS seems to fit the bill, with a 4" barrel, full-size grip (16 rounds with the flush-fit mags now available from Walther/Mec-Gar), and what may be one of the best trigger systems available for the home-defense role.

I think the 2.0 M&P's are objectively every bit as good as Glocks, and I subjectively like them better. So, a 2.0 Compact. It has awesome ergos, you can pick the backstrap size you like, the trigger is really nice, the grip texture is outstanding, it has good steel sights, it comes with 15 round mags but has sleeves to run 17 round mags if you prefer, and it's that midsize sweet spot that fills most roles very well. It's a little bigger than I want for EDC so while I carry mine some, I tend to use it more in my truck, out camping, in my backpack, etc. Great all around handgun.

I paid about $360 for mine out the door (in 9mm), and you can get them for $400 all day from a lot of places online.

"The FN509 has had some safety issues causes some police departments to abandon it."

I have not heard of a single safety issue with the FN 509 and have thoroughly researched the pistol. I have owned one since 12/2017 and have put many, many rounds through it without a single hiccup.

My wife's Sig P320 did have the safety recall, which was a minor inconvenience. The pistol was returned to her within two weeks of sending it.

As someone who actually shoots both the 509 and 320 with regularity, I would not hesitate to recommend either pistol, along with the Walther PPQ, which in my opinion, has the best trigger of any striker pistol, bar none.

Of course, your mileage may vary.......

since you already own 9mm Glocks, and you enjoy having a variety of handguns for fun, I would try out the H&K VP9 or the FN 509

I would probably go with the Heckler & Koch VP9 , get something different, it's part of the fun.

Brownstone322: said:
I already own 9mm Glocks

For guns you already own you can Practice, train, more range time and aybev a membership, and more ammo. Perhaps a better set of sights and a drop in trigger kit might work out well for you. A new gun isn’t always the answer to become a more accomplished shooter if you don't try to become a better shooter with what you already own.

I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby.

Maybe time for a different caliber but staying in the Glock universe. Glock 21?
Glock 41 or maybe G17L..long barrel 9mm? Since it's for range HD??

Last edited:
My gut says stick with Glock... but you seem to be adventurous, so in that sense you're a better man than I.

Have you considered a Sig SP2022? I think the only criteria it doesn't meet is striker fired. I Had one once, still kicking myself that I have it no longer. Maybe a less than helpful suggestion since it doesn't check off the entire list. Perhaps food for thought down the road. :-)

OK, thanks for those who helped out, although I knew some of the replies would ignore my criteria, which I thought were reasonably specific. So lemme see, a few notes:

• Really, I do not want a .45 Auto (not now, at least).

• Beretta and CZ don't make anything that meets my specs. The CZ P-10 comes in conventional sizes (compact and full-size), as does the Beretta APX (more or less). I already own two Berettas and a CZ, though, and I like their their stuff.

• The SIG SP2022, as noted, is hammer-fired.

• S&W does not make an M&P9 that meets my definition of "hybrid size" (which follows Glock's definition of "crossover"). The standard M&P9 is close (4.25-inch barrel), but it's not what I had in mind.

• The Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 4-Inch Service Model actually meets the criteria, but I've never liked those things, and I don't want one.

• The Walther P99 AS actually looks cool, but it sizes up more as a mid-size or compact as defined by the Glock 19 template, which is my benchmark. (I am aware that Walther makes a P99C AS that they call a compact, but it's smaller still.)

So, anyway, I think the finalists are the ones I listed to begin with ...

• Glock 45 (maybe the MOS version)
• FN 509
• H&K VP9
• SIG 320 Carry

If anyone wants to comment specifically on those four, I'd be interested to see what you have to say.

How exactly is the VP9 "hybrid size"? The grip is a bit longer, but not quite a full length IMO and you don't gain any capacity in the process? If the P10-C isn't hybrid size, then neither is the VP9.

My thoughts:

Glock 45: I like my Gen 2 Glock 19 and it fits my hand great and I shoot it great. Because of that I don't see any reason for a Glock 45 for me but many love it and I would not hesitate to buy any Gen 5 Glock if I wanted one.

FN509: I have read too much bad to trust a purchase of a FN pistol including their support especially given other options available. Just my opinion on FN pistols.

VP9: IMO a terrific pistol and I love mine but agree with TunnelRat that it is not in the "hybrid" category. Still I highly recommend the VP9 as a possibility for anyone considering a striker fired pistol of that size.

P320 Carry: P320 has had a rocky history but it seems at this point with recent manufacture it is a solid pistol. Personally I don't like how far forward the trigger breaks and the little takeup because that is contrary to my other striker fire pistols. The number of grip options is attractive and the X series grips module seem to be a nice improvement over the base style which is what I would get if I bought a P320. I really liked shooting the P320 Compact I tried and would not hesitate to buy one if so inclined.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p250-320-x-series-grip-9-40-357-carry-medium-black.html

Best bet of course is to try out what you are considering and them make a decision.

Last edited:
The “problem” mentioned with the FN involved the FNS...not the 509. And I recently had a great experience with FN customer service. My FNS was one of the ones with the potential problem. They replied promptly to my query and sent a shipping label. I had my repaired pistol back to me inside of two weeks.

And I would reconsider the M&P 2.0 compact. As mentioned, the barrel length is what you seek and, as mentioned, it’s great with the full size 17 round magazine with the included grip sleeves.

Last edited:
Back