Help Me Understand 922r Compliance

Jdougg92

I have a CZ Scorpion Evo3.
Yesterday I filled out the Form 1 and mailed both it & a check to the ATF in hope before summer is over I'll have my first SBR.

My friend did a similar thing last year but he had a Bushmaster AR rifle lower, waited 4 months, got a stamp and put a 10" Cmmg upper on it.

But apparently it won't be as easy with the Scorpion? It won't be as simple as wait, get approved put on a stock and I have a SBR.

Apparently because the gun was made in the Czech Republic and imported, I'll have to do a lot more or add parts? Is any of that true? And why would that be the case.case.

Last edited:
I own a Scorpion also. Can't shoot it at all in pistol form. The right side safety smashes my knuckle. I want to SBR it. Dont know how. Interested in following this thread. Hope you keep us informed on the process.

afaik sbr it turns it from a pistol into a rifle thus must comply with 922r. CZ has addressed this and will be making USA made parts to swap out in order to allow you to comply with 922r including a US made sidefolder.

922(r) is a list of "naughty or evile" foreign made parts. If the part is on the list it counts, if it isn't it doesn't.
You can substitute "non-Evile" (U.S. made) parts for the foreign (evile) ones to get the "parts count" down to the correct quantity for your design.
Unfortunately the "listed" parts are generic & the count varies from gun to gun.

As an example this is the list for the FAL, the only one I'm familiar with to quote.
As per 922r the following parts on the FAL qualify:

receiver (upper receiver)
barrel
muzzle attachment
bolt
bolt carrier
operating rod (cocking handle)
gas piston
trigger housing (lower receiver)
trigger
hammer
sear
buttstock
pistol grip
handguard
magazine body
magazine follower
magazine floorplate

If you're "building" an SBR then you have to comply with the parts count for that rifle as 922(r) applies to the builder, not the owner if they are different.

Back