Help me start shooting SA's

Jbotto

So I recently scored a decent deal at a local auction and came home with a Ruger SBH 7.5" .44mag. I was kind of thinking about buying one and ended up coming home with it. I have put a few thousand rounds through various double action revolvers, but never shot much for single-actions besides when a friend would hand me one at a range. It's all very new to me. I can't seem to decide what's a comfortable way to hold it as, like I said, the grip is very new to me. Any suggestions, helpful hints, or good links on some advice? I know this seems pretty common for you guys who are used to shooting SA's but I'm humbling myself here, not for criticism but for knowledge. Thank you to anyone willing to help!

There's probably as many ways to shoot a single action sixgun as there are sixgun enthusiasts.
A few popular ones:

For one handed shooting:
Allow the gun to recoil up, rotating slightly in the hand, bringing the hammer close to the thumb for re-cocking for the next shot, especially for 44 mag.
But hang on to it, you don't want to be one of those guys who let their gun go flying.
Or,
Leaning into the shot, with the shooting arm straight, keeping the gun pointed at the target.
For more control, raise the shoulder and use it for a cheek weld, somewhat like for a rifle.

For two handed shooting
Check out all the Cowboy Action Shooting videos on Youtube.
Those will explain it best.
And be careful to keep your digits clear of the front of the cylinder.
Enjoy your new shootin' iron.
Oh, and most importantly, download Marty Robbins song, "Big Iron."

Last edited:
I can't seem to decide what's a comfortable way to hold it as, like I said, the grip is very new to me. Any suggestions, helpful hints, or good links on some advice? I know this seems pretty common for you guys who are used to shooting SA's but I'm humbling myself here, not for criticism but for knowledge. Thank you to anyone willing to help!

Howdy

Pretty much it all boils down to do you try to cram your entire hand onto the grip, or do you curl your pinky under the grip.

I have been shooting single action revolvers a long time, and have a whole bunch of them. Here is a sample. Ignore the double action S&W Model 28. Counterclockwise from the top are a New Vaquero, 357 Magnum; Colt Single Action Army, 45 Colt; Flat Top Ruger Three Screw 44 Magnum; Cimarron Cattleman, 45 Colt; and stainless 'original model' Vaquero, 45 Colt.

Pile%20of%20Mostly%20Single%20Action%20Revolvers_zpseko7dwet.jpg

Prior to the introduction of the Colt Single Action Army in 1873, one of the most popular percussion revolvers was Colt's 44 caliber Model 1860 Army. The 1860 Army model had a grip frame about 1/4" longer than the earlier 1851 36 caliber Navy Model. Here is a replica of the 1860 Army made by Pietta and a Colt Single Action Army. Although the Pietta grip is not an exact duplicate of the real 1860 Colt grip, it is a relatively close copy. You can see how much longer the 1860 grip is than the SAA grip.

grip%20comparison%20SAA%20Pietta%201860_zpsw86vyktv.jpg

Colt must have felt the earlier 1851 grip was better, so when they brought out the SAA in 1873, they reverted to the earlier 1851 grip shape. Admittedly, the SAA 'plow handle' grip is quite short. Some shooters do try to cram their entire hand onto it. I have always curled my pinky under the grip. There is a little known advantage to not trying to cram the entire hand onto the grip. When one fits their entire hand onto the grip, the knuckle of the middle finger is usually indirect contact with the trigger guard. This meas that with any round that generates significant recoil, the trigger guard will deliver a painful whack to the knuckle of the middle finger. However, if one instead curls the pinky under the grip, one can shift the grip on the gun downward a bit. This tends to open up a gap of around 1/4" between the trigger guard and the knuckle of the middle finger, which prevents the trigger guard from whacking the knuckle.

I normally shoot stout 45 Colt Black Powder loads in my Colts, and they do have a stout recoil. However curling the pinky under the grip allows me to hold onto the gun just fine, without it jumping out of my hand. In recoil, the curved 'plow handle' shape of the grip tends to rotate a bit in my hand, I do not hold it with a death grip. So when the grip rotates in recoil, this brings the hammer closer to my thumb, making it easier to cock the hammer for the next shot. Even with that Ruger Flat Top 44 Mag, curling my pinky under the grip allows me to still hold the gun securely enough, without getting my knuckle whacked in recoil.

Your Ruger Super Blackhawk has basically the same grip shape as a Colt. It probably has the squared off trigger guard, yes? Try firing it both ways, with the entire hand on the grip, and with the pinky curled underneath. Decide for your self which way you like holding onto it better.

If shooting with two hands, it is the same. Either curl the pinky under the grip, or don't. Wrap your other hand around the first hand. But with two handed technique, use the thumb of the other hand to cock the hammer, not the thumb of the hand holding onto the gun.

You are probably going to want to try to find some 44 Special ammo for your Super Blackhawk. Any 44 Magnum revolver can also chamber and fire the milder 44 Special round. Full house 44 Mag ammo is punishing. Unfortunately you will probably have difficulty finding much 44 Special ammo locally. But you can probably find some online.

Grip is everything on a revolver --- single action or double action... and how the grips on the gun fit your hands is an even bigger factor.

Personally, I like Brian Enos's approach to a revolver grip ...thumbs down and crossed vs.. thumbs up and pointing at muzzle on something like a 1911..

But part of enjoying the single action revolver is the smoothness of it ...no creep in trigger, breaks like glass, hard focus on front sight, make sure you have a smooth follow thru...and you will be amazed at how accurate you can be with them ( if the gun and grips on it fits your hands properly ).

My only single action is a Freedom Arms, large frame, 5 shot, 4 3/4" octagonal barrel I had made for my birthday a few years ago in .357 Mag.../ ...and the reason I went large frame model 83 was because it fits my big hands better than anything else I could find.

my Freedom Arms... http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82010&d=1339790943

Driftwood, Thank you for the information! I am used to a two handed grip so I'm going to try shooting that way more than anything. You really explained the problem I'm having, about curling the pinky under or not. Yes it is the square-backed trigger guard and I was wondering how that would feel against my finger in recoil. I bought this used so I have to clean it up well and see what I really bought before I get out to shoot it. I reload for .44's so I'll start with some milder loads instead of going looking for some .44 specials.

Thank you all for your help! Any more advice is going to be much appreciated!

Howdy Again

Nice Piece.

Ruger calls that the 'Dragoon' style trigger guard, because it is reminiscent of the square backed trigger guard of the early Colt Walker and Dragoon Cap & Ball revolvers. Some of the 1851 Navy Colts had the same trigger guard shape. I cannot tell you if it will smack your knuckle harder or not as hard as a rounded trigger guard as I do not own one. I suspect it does not make much difference.

I suspect Ruger went to that style of trigger guard more as a statement of style, to differentiate the Super Blackhawk from the 45 Colt or 357 Mag Blackhawks, than anything else.

I can tell you that using my technique with the rounded trigger guard of my old Flat Top 44 Mag, the trigger guard does not smack my knuckle.

What Kframe said.

I have very large hands. With my SBH I prefer to curl my pinkie under the grip. I have one thumb above the other, both pointed towards the target. My hold is more relaxed than a DA revolver. I let the barrel roll up a bit as the revolver recoils.

My SBH is my most accurate centerfire handgun out of many.

I usually shoot the mild 44 specials that my FiL reloads.

The recoil is easy.

I reload for .44's so I'll start with some milder loads instead of going looking for some .44 specials.
17 to 17.5 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain cast or swaged lead slug using a standard small pistol primer is a real good "soft" magnum/"Stout" special load using a .44 mag case.
IMHO, the slower burn of the 2400 gives you more dwell time & smooths out the felt recoil.

The above load is good for 1050 to 1250 fps, depending on your particular gun.
I shoot it out of my 4" S&W M29 and my .44 mag Winchester Trapper.

Another load in that range I worked up uses Unique (or WW 231).
Being a faster powder, it has a more pronounced "snap" to the recoil & the load will lead the barrels of both the revolver and the trapper.

S/A is easy to learn.
For most people, it's finesse shooting.
Nothing complicated, just cock, breathe - line up the sights and squeeze.
Let the barrel climb out of the way and clear your field of vision so you can ascertain what happened downrange.

+2 or 3 or 4 on the pinkie curl.

17 to 17.5 grains of 2400 under a 240 grain cast or swaged lead slug using a standard small pistol primer is a real good "soft" magnum/"Stout" special load using a .44 mag case.

Small pistol primer in a 44 Special or 44 Mag case?

No offense, but typos such as that are exactly why I never use data posted on internet forums. A simple slip of a keystroke could spell disaster.

I just checked a couple of manuals and those loads are right off the chart for 44 Special, and just under minimum charges for 44 Mag. I'll stay with published data, thanks.

I shoot most of my 44 Special loads in old S&W Handejectors that were made before the 44 Magnum was invented. No hot stuff for me. My load for 44 Special is a mild load of Unique under a 200 grain bullet. Which can be found in any reloading manual.

Back