Help me spend some money

reteach

I was born in 1950. The idea has popped into my brain that it would be neat to own a handgun made in 1950. I'm thinking about Smith and Wesson. I know how to look up a serial number and find the year of manufacture, but how do I shop for a gun made in a specific year? I don't want to break the bank on this, so going to a collector to browse their stock probably wouldn't work because of the price they would ask. So, any ideas?

No particular ideas from me, other than the one you kind of just came up with...that is, posting on various forums that you would like to purchase a pistol made in 1950. Basically, a "want to buy" ad. Then see what responses you get.

"...shop for a gun made in a specific year..." Like jmhyer says, try a 'Want to buy" add on one of the auction sites. Best to be very specific about condition, barrel length, etc, etc. And require a return agreement with the seller. Most auction site sellers seem to be dealers that may or may not have an actual store. Lot of 'em don't want the return agreement.
"...the price they would ask..." Will be an issue anyway. You want something specific that isn't easy to come by. Tends to bring out the vultures. However, if you decide on a budget first and stick to it, it might help.

Well, if you are trying to do this on a tight budget, it could be horribly difficult, bordering on impossible. However, if you are absolutely willing to spend what is likely to be extra funds to get exactly what you seek, then it's absolutely possible to do so... for Smith & Wesson especially but also for Colt guns, start shopping guns where the owner has requested, paid for and received a factory letter.

The letter isn't an insignificant amount of money and it also took someone time to request and wait for it. The gun is typically going to cost more with a factory letter than a similar gun without one.

There are many many folks with these on the Smith & Wesson forum.

What's a much tougher one to get (but some persistent folks still claim to try to chase them, with what I imagine is a VERY low rate of success...) are the guys who chase after an actual "birthday gun." They seek to own a gun that was shipped on their actual day of birth.

That's a major crapshoot, you've got to get awfully lucky to find something like that.

I'd estimate that it may be some 365 times more difficult than what you seek! ;)

Go to gun shows. Have the serial number to year ratio with you. Look through older S&W model 10's.

I agree, I think this would be the most fun way to do it at least. Sometimes the search is half the fun. Just be careful, you'll probably find other things to bring home though. :)

Onward -
I definitely like that Model 25. In fact, both guns you linked to are excellent examples of Smith and Wesson's art. I didn't have a particular budget in mind when I asked the question. I'll have to think about that.
Thanks guys. Some good ideas to consider.

The last iteration of the S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman, a large frame 38 Special with 6.5 in bbl, is the Model of 1950. It is a super revolver.

a Russian SKS with a 1950 date, a nice collectable surplus rifle from the Cold War era.

2018-08-31_164615.jpg

2018-08-31_164344.jpg

Back