Help me select a new knife...

Jeff White

Well today I finally lost an old, trusted companion. I have lost my Benchmade CQC-7 that I've carried for more then 5 years. The little hex screws that hold the pocket clip on had worked loos before. Benchmade was good enough to send me some replacement screws, that I lock-tited in. Well these worked loose and I've lost the knife while out helping a friend cut down a tree and clear the brush. Looked all over the place, it's gone..:(

So, what should I replce it with? Is the CQC-7 by Emerson any better? Anyone have any recommendations?

Jeff

I have a Spyderco "Wegner" model. Its one of their signature models. It replaced my CQC7. I have the dual edge model. Its a well made and more useful as an all around working knife. It can easily fill in as a combat fighter though and is actually easier to open quickly. The CQC7 is limited as a working knife by its edge, at least for me. Overall size and length are about the same. The serations on the Spyderco are a lot more aggressive though. It has the same liner lock as the CQC7. Great knife.

an emerson cqc won't be as finished as your benchmade was but it's supposed to be tactical and a worker not pretty like the bm's. that's what emerson says anyway.

look on the bright side, it's an excuse to get a new knife! look around and see what you like. myself, i'm partial to the bm axis locks and emerson commanders and mach 1's. love that green g-10, only company that offers it as far as i know.

the commander is cool with the wave and the recurve blade. it was slightly re-designed for 2002.

I'm pretty sure Oleg Volk and Ken Lunde will agree with me here.....

As a matter of fact, it was Ken who put me on to these a couple of years ago over on Glock Talk. It's not a "visually" handsome knife, but it works better than anything I've EVER tried before. It's a Chris Reeve "Sebenza". My Sebenza is absolutely the only folder I've ever owned that feels like a one-piece when it's in the open psition. When I lock open the Sebenza, there is not the tiniest bit of blade "wiggle". None. Worth the price in every way. Titanium "slab" scales and a blade made of BG-42 stainless steel that holds a razor edge for what seems like forever.

KR

Thanks for the ideas. Bladeforums is a great place. I just ordered a CQC-8 from the One STop Knife Shop there. Wish I could have bought it by itself and not in the set, but I can always use another SureFire ;)

I guess it's supposed to be some collectable thing with macthing serial numbers, but I intend on using it.

Jeff

Back