Help me pick first hunting/general rifle

Hey new hunter here looking to pick up a scoped rifle. Think itll be 30-06 'cause I reload and it seems it can do everything.

If I wanted pure function for low $$ Id just get a tikka- but after hitting the store it seems souless. I kinda want this to be "my gun" and I plan on doing a good bit of target shooting with it and working on marksmanship alongside my .22. (cz 452 FS)

Im looking for:

Accurate enough to enjoy at the range, sub MOA would be good.
Not too light- ultralights are gonna hurt to shoot at the range regularly.
Decent wood stock(for the price point) or a nice moulded synthetic
smaller barrel is better
mount a scope nicely, backup irons would be a bonus

Looking at

Winchester model 70 sporter-classic
Sako a7-modern
CZ 550 FS or american in wood- classic - has sights and dovetail mount
browning x bolt in wood- mix

as always appreciate yalls experienced opinions

Last edited:
If I had my first hunting rifle purchase to do over, I would have a similar list... But i would go with the CZ550 American, for the extra barrel length. The FS is beautiful, but with the 30-06, the extra barrel length would be useful. Although really, it would do more on paper than in the field.

Good list, tough choice ahead, good luck with that. My only real change would be to add the Ruger M77 Hawkeye to the list. Everything Ruger makes has felt very nice, and worked great. I would be stuck between the Winchester M70, Ruger M77, and CZ550.

Have an xbolt in .270 and the wife has one in .308. They are excellent rifles. Fit and finish is top notch. Accuracy is better than I can shoot. Fully recommend.

If your looking for a combo, (scope and rings included) try the Savage 111, I bought one off my son that came with a Busnell Banner, or such, anyway he took it to the range, after developing a handload for it and that rifle rocks dude. I have yet to shoot it but I'm looking to put a more powerful scope on it,, it easily shoots 1/2 MOA at one hundred yds and is quite comfortable to shoot, he says.;)

What kind of hunting are you doing? Stand/Blind or Still/Stalk? The game your after and the environment you plan on hunting would be good info to help you choose.

I like the way you think. Nothing like walnut and blued steel. I'm a big fan of CZ rifles and my " Baby " is a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 love that rifle. But for a 30-06 like you want I'd go with the Winchester model 70 sporter, Thats the kind of rifle you can live with for the rest of your life.

@iamdb - prolly stalking I reckon but I just started hunters ed so hard to say. dont see myself getting into a tree stand but heck who knows.

@mike7.62 yeah.....except for the plastic pistol grip cap. Competition is tight among new winchester m70/browning xbolt/weatherby hard to say

Last edited:
If you do not mind last year's model, Browning A bolts are a relative bargain now that the X Bolts are out. You may want to also consider an older used (pre Freedom Group) Remington Model Seven, or any of the myriad 700s with wood or nice composite stocks.

If your going to be stalking, you are not going to want a heavy bolt gun. Especially if your hunting in woods or a forest area with lots of trees and brush. A medium to big bore lever gun would be well suited for this type of hunting.

If your hunting open plains, tundra, or mountain to valley, than a light bolt gun would be ideal.

When you get into still and blind hunts, then the heavy, high power bolts really shine.

Taking the wrong gun hunting can/will really take the enjoyment out of it. Carrying a 9.lbs gun around all day is no fun. Too much gun for the game your after is also a bad thing. You do want to make sure your gun is enough to stop the largest of the predators in your area. If your in grizzly country, a 30-06 or 45-70 might be the ticket. If black bear and mountain lion are your local predators .270win or .35 remington would be plenty.

I would suggest a Win 94 or a Marlin 336 for stalking.

@iamdb I read you loud and clear thats a really good point. I think its gonna take me some doing to figure out what I really need but for now I'll go for a general range/"hunting rifle" and maybe steal the old mans lever 30-30 if its too heavy.

im bear paranoid so Ill definitely load up a couple heavy 30-06 rounds and keep some space in the mag for them, as well as bear spray.

its posts like yours that are gonna help me figure out this hunting thing(well that and a local mentor program/course :)

cheers!

Back