Help Me Pick a New Bolt Gun

Mikey

Well, I spent some of my mad money on a scope for my AR, a Cold Steel R-1 fighting knife and an STI hi-cap frame kit. Still got some left and I'm trying to decide on a new bolt rifle.

I think I've narrowed it down to a .308 with primary service being "deer rifle" to about 300 yards max. I'm an accuracy freak so 1MOA or better is a must!

The contenders are:

Remington 700 PSS (at $675, rifle only, new)

Remington 700 VSSF (at $640, rifle only, new)

Savage 10FP (at $350, rifle only, new)

Any experience with one or more of these? Is the PSS worth twice as much as the 10FP? Is there one I'm overlooking in my choices, given a $750 (or there-a-bouts) price ceiling.

Help me spend my money...

Mikey

From other posts, the Savage seems to be the best deal going. People are hollering sub-moa groups...Might not be as "purty", but the $300 saving buys a lot of scope.

Why new? Why not put a Canjar trigger on a good used rifle and do some stock-bedding and such? Build your own tack-driver...

Have fun! Art

Mikey,
I can't speak from personal experience about the Savage rifles, but I have a .308 Rem 700 BDL VSSF, with a Leupold 6.5-20 40 mm. It is a wonderful rifle to shoot with good ammo and I would whole heartedly recommend it. However, I would not want to take it deer hunting or anywhere I had to carry it very far.
I have a friend who shoots Savage rifles because they are a better "bang for the buck" deal. He found a guy in Ohio who makes a match trigger for the Savage that makes a world of difference over the stock one.

I would say that you should go for the Regular Remington 700. You can get it for udner $400...

Waht I want to know is this: how much did you pay for the STI hi-cap kit ??

I got the STI hi-cap frame kit for $280 from an individual who won it at a match.

By the way, Rob, I'm considering building a rifle from a BDL barreled action mated to an aftermarket stock (both camo coated by someone you know). Which stock do you recommend for the service mentioned.

Cat

<I would not want to take it deer hunting or anywhere I had to carry it very far.>

That is what they make slings for. OR if that doesn't provide enough "carry" Eagle Industries makes a great Drag Bag that turns into a rifle "Back Pack".

I'm currently using my Accruacy International AWP (approx 15 lbs, loaded)for deer hunting. I hunt from a stand where I can get shots out to 270 yards. So while I'm not lugging it through the woods (as my stand is about .3 mile from my house) if it was further, say a couple miles, I'd use my Drag Bag.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Back