Help me pick a HK USP for IPSC

Big Dave

Happy New Year,

I got to try out a full size USP 45 and the beloved 220 today.

Both were great. However, I'm wanting to get a full size USP .45 for IPSC matches. This gun will hold me over until my custom 1911 arrives in 6 plus months.

So, I'd like to be able to go to the line cocked and locked. The tactical and expert both have the trigger job. Is the advantage of the longer sites on the expert worth the extra $400 or $500.

I could splurge and get the expert but that's a hell of a lot of dough. What are your thoughts on which one to get: the regular full size USP, tactical or expert?

Thanks,

Dave

USPs generally have good triggers regardless.
Mine is certainly acceptable. If the money really bothers you, I'd buy the USP45. There's certainly nothing wrong with it. I don't think you'll really be giving up anything with it, and it's quite a bit less bulky than the larger HKs.

Thanks Dave,

Does the "High Profile front target site" on the Tactical interfere with fast target aquisition?

From what I recall it's high to see over whatever you thread onto the barrel.

Thanks,
Dave

I too was going to have a custom 1911 made for compitition, untill I had the opertunity to try an Expert. A new member at my range let me try his USP 45 Compact...and I totally fell in love. Then he let me try his full size USP...AWSOME! And lastly I tried his Expert...Lets just say my local H&K dealers' kids had a great Christmas! I ended up getting two Compacts, a standard USP, an Expert USP, and the Mark 23 just for the h&ll of it.I ended up not ordering the 1911 and never plan too.
Now you mentioned the Expert being $400-$500 more than the tactical, H&K list prices on the two are the same ($1,300) with the Tac. running about $100 less at my area dealers. I'm woundering if your compairing the standard USP's versus the Tac. and Expert, with the standards selling for around $650-$750.

USP45 USPTAC USPX

barrel: 4.4" 4.9" 5.2"
SA trigger: 5.5lb 4.7lb 3.2lb

The Expert does have a slightly longer sight radious than Tactical do to the full lenght slide. Also the Tac and Expert share the barrel locking O-ring that the standard USP's do not have, as well as the match trigger.
I've been shooting my Expert for about two months now and feel that it is with out a doubt the best factory gun I have ever shot. And it ranks better than 90% of the custom guns I've tried, and is at least equal to the other 10%.
When using factory loads (i'm just learning how to reload) I can produce one hole groups at 25 yards and 2"-3" groups at 50 yards with the factory sights (Cor-Bon 165gr@1300fps+).
When I first tried the Expert the guy had an Optima red dot on his and I was shooting one hole groups at 50 yards after the first 20 rounds (i belive he was using Speer).
Anyway I plan to start compeating this summer and feel alot more confidant now than I did six months ago.
GOOD-LUCK!

Thanks Guys,

I got the Tactical pricing from Discount Guns in Houston:
http://www.discountguns.com/h&k.htm

They have the Tactical for $799. Seems the Expert is going for full retail at $1300+.

So, my question is if the expert is worth the extra 5 bills?

Help me justify it.

Thanks,

Dave

Back