Help me pick a 357 magnum carbine.

CCCLVII

What I am looking for is a carbine in 357 magnum. It looks like my choices are 1873 and 1892 clones. I really want a shorty (less than 18 inch barrel)

I plan to use this gun for Plinking, Home Defense, Hunting and a little CAS.

The 1873 has a lot of things I like. More ammo with the same sized tube (there is one with a 16.25 inch barrel that holds 10 rounds from Cimmeron), faster shots, looks better (in my opinion) historically had a bigger effect on the settling of the west.

The 1892 has only 1 advantage as I see it. that is the ability to handle hotter loads. Which will help in hunting and hand loading.

So what do you think would be better suited?

If you want to shoot fast the 1873 with a short stroke kit is extremely fast and will out shoot a 1892 or my marlin. As you said the 1873s also hold more rounds, I am not sure why.

My advise is this: for competition the 1873 is king but for hunting you want a stronger action like a Marlin or a 92 clone. For home defense I think either would work.

One thing you are not considering is how heavy they are. The 73s are more heavy than the 92s.

You didn't ask for this I assume due to availability and cost, but there's nothing like a real Winchester. Model 94 Trapper with 16.5" barrel. I will never sell mine.

how many rounds does the 1894 Winchester with a 16inch barrel hold? I think the OP would like to use it for competition and that requires 10 rounds in the tube if I remember correctly.

Me I would like a real made in America Winchester. I was looking at one a while back and was disappointed when I saw it was made in Japan.....

In my opinion there is nothing more fun to shoot than a 357 magnum lever action.

historically had a bigger effect on the settling of the west.

Not in .357 Magnum it didn't! ;)

I have one of the Marlins, hold 9 .357 or 10 .38 SPL in the tube.

If you want to play cowboy games, you have to play by their rules. Some of which I never agreed with, so I never got much into it.

The one that always bugged me most was a period correct cartridge in a non-period correct gun (.45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk, for example) isn't allowed to play with the rest of the folks (has to be in a different class, because it has adjustable sights), but a period correct firearm in a non-period correct calber (win 73 repro in .357 Mag) is allowed.

For a rifle with the greatest utility I would choose the Marlin. Allowed in the games, light, easy handling, easy mounting of optics (if desired). Not quite as slick working as the old henry/Winchester designs, but plenty good enough for me.

I would like a short 16-16.5 inch barrel. I would like it to hold 10 rounds. That basically says you have to go with the 1873.

With the 73s how hot can I load the ammo? I would like to try it on deer. Is loading a 158 grain bullet at about 1800-1900 FPS asking to much for the toggle action?

I know that I can shoot Marlins at about 2000 all day long.

My .357/.38 Special Rossi 16" Big Loop (I ditched the big loop pretty quick) Model 92 held 8+1 cartridges, before I shortened the magazine tube to a button mag.

Today I handeld a Chiappa Alaskan in 44mag. It was very light and short, it came with Skinner peep sights and the coolest thing is that its a break down rifle (you can take the barrel off for storing and cleaning).

I then found out that they make one in 357 magnum as well. :eek:

The 16 inch barrel only holds 7 rounds but there is an option for a 20 inch barrel that holds 10 rounds. I wonder if getting both barrels is an option? That would be the best of both worlds. 10 rounds for CAS and a shorter lighter barrel for hunting.

My Rossi 92 in .357 is a 16" trapper. The thing is so dang light and fun to shoot. It does only hold 8 rounds of .38 and the 20' would be the shortest Rossi you can use in CAS. I love my trapper and will complement it with a .44 mag 24" octagon here soon.

I've got the '92 Rossi in .45

The '92 is a simpler, stronger action. Accuracy is quite good.
The price point ought to be pretty different as well.

44 AMP posted:

"If you want to play cowboy games, you have to play by their rules. Some of which I never agreed with, so I never got much into it.

The one that always bugged me most was a period correct cartridge in a non-period correct gun (.45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk, for example) isn't allowed to play with the rest of the folks (has to be in a different class, because it has adjustable sights), but a period correct firearm in a non-period correct caliber (win 73 repro in .357 Mag) is allowed."

At one time the SASS rules limited adjustable sighted revolvers to the "Modern" category (we call them "categories" instead of "classes"; in some shooting disciplines you are classified based on skill level; in SASS the shooter chooses the category in which to compete).

The rules were changed, I think in 2009 (it was before I started shooting in January 2010) to eliminate the "Modern" and "Traditional" categories. Under the current rules, adjustable sighted revolvers are legal for all age-based categories and in the B-Western category.

If you are not currently shooting SASS matches you would have no reason to keep up with rule changes so I'm not trying to contradict you, but I thought I would provide some updated information for those folks who may be reading the thread.

Back