Help me out with the wadcutter theory

SevenRoundMags

I keep hearing about how a wadcutter leaves a "full hole". Why wouldn't a normal ball round do the same? And is a semi-wadcutter any different? Thanks.

It's the sharp edges that make the difference. They actually cut a perfect hole. If you take a pencil (or a pointy stick :D ) and poke a hole in paper, all your doing is pushing the paper aside rather than cutting it. Same with FMJ or other round nosed rounds. The holes aren't "clean".

Both the WC's and the SWC's are much better for target shooting, since there's no disputing whether or not a shot is inside the line.

Wad cutters are usually flush with the surface of the casing, whereas Semi-Wad cutters have a tapered bullet with a flat head, but the final cut in the target is made by the sharp ridge just above the casing.

I'm not sure why some prefer wad cutters above the SWC's, but I like the semi's. I don't see much difference in accuracy, but the SWC's load much easier.

In tissue it's the same . RN bullets tend to wedge apart tissue and SWCs cut tissue . That's why the SWC makes a better defense round.

I like wad cutters because you don't have to pull the paper up to your face to see all the hits. But, as I learned this past Sunday, as Capt Charlie noted Semi Wadcutters work alright too. (Not as well as full wadcutters but they do okay)

only problem is they are so dang expensive
They're dirt cheap if you reload, Doug. Last time I bought some, they were locally made and I got 500 prelubed bullets for around $30. Load 'em up in powder puff loads (I use 3.2 gr. Win. 231) & the brass will last darned near forever.

usually when I get them they cost double what regular LRN or FMJ cost. I can get the latter two for around $7-8, WC are like $15 per box of 50. I will do it sometimes, but overall that's just not worth it considering the range fees and how much I go shooting.

Capt., that sounds like a great deal. How would you go about getting them locally made? 500 for $30, tell me more :o

...tell me more
Your wish.... :D
First, you need to get into reloading, if you aren't already. A good starter outfit is not that expensive, & will save you a lot of money in the long run. If you shoot a lot, consider a Dillon 550 progressive reloader. The single stage, and even multi stage presses are great for precision loads, but if you need bulk, they're too slow. The Dillon's fairly expensive, but you can easily crank out 300 rounds an hour.

If you're all set to reload, ask around your local gun shops and smaller sporting goods stores. Often times they'll carry them, or they can tell you who does. The guys at your local gun club can probably help too. Get pre-lubed bullets, but NOT pre-lubed with bees-wax. It's sticky and gooey, and gums up the dies.

Wad Cutters make pretty holes.
nooooo,,,,,wadcutters (properly loaded) make a pretty holE.
SWC's make pretty holeS.

There's a real fine difference. ;)
I used to do well enough that I could tell,,,

Anyhow - yep WC's punch a hole in the paper and make a definite sharp easy to define line, where other styles push the paper away from the hole and aren't as clearly defined.

It becomes a major issue in deciding whether or not the hole is touching an adjacent ring in the target.

Thanks SRM for bringing this up.
Thanks all the rest for answering questions I didn't even know I had.
This is why I hang around TFL.
dean

Back