Help me out here?

Prof Young

Need more brass for my Mosin. Found Lapua brass at Midway for $1.45 a case. But I also found Sellior & Bellot ammo, with reusable brass case, for only 85 cents a round.

Is there something special about Lapua brass that makes it worth more?

Life is good.
Prof. Young

It is some of the best brass available, but I would have trouble believing that the difference in brass quality to that scale would be evident in a Mosin. The S&B brass is ok.

I would be willing to bet that you can find a better deal on Decent brass. My vote would be, buy ammo with reloadable cases.

Keep checking around.
I thought i had seen some recently, and was surprised to find out that company made it.
I can't remember if it was Starline, or Peterson.

Lapua brass is going to be one of your "top tier" brass manufacturers. Very consistant.
But ADG (out of Australia), and Peterson Cartridge (near Pittsburgh PA) are really starting to get a lot of attention, especially in the match game.

Options

Finland use to issue the Moison Nagant as their military rifle. Maybe they have a source for boxer primed brass? Why don't you ask around there and maybe Russia and see if they have boxer primed brass. If not, maybe they have berdan primed brass

Or, try reloading berdan primed casings. The primers can be removed and berdan primers are made. You just have to find them. I've heard it said that steel casings are not suitable for reloading but then, just find and inexpensive set of dies.

Thanks for all the help.

I appreciate all the info and help.

I went ahead and ordered 100 rounds of the S&B ammo. Will enjoy shooting those and they will jump my 7.62x54r brass count to about 150. That should be enough to keep me going a long time.

I only shoot the gun for the fun of shooting a bit of history. And it is the biggest caliber I shoot so that adds to the fun. Also, great gun to let other people shoot. Lotta fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Std7mag,

ADG is in Elizabethtown, Kentucky, U.S.A. I think you had ADI, the Australian powder maker in mind.

Prof. Young,

The Mosin has been made in four different chamberings over time. I expect you are talking about 7.62×54R, but thought I would check, just in case.

Thanks Uncle Nick

Uncle Nick:

Yes, mine is chambered in 7.62x54r. Didn't know they came in other calibers. Pretty interesting gun. Mine has the hex receiver, is stamped 1934 and has a hammer and sickle stamp on it too. I'm not a pro, but the barrel looked really good to me when I bought it. I had the spam can of steel bullets and shot through the whole thing, taking care to get the corrosive stuff out with a cleaning after each range trip. Now am shooting with modern powder.

Thanks for all your help and advice over the years on this forum. Have you by chance written a book about guns or gun smithing?

Life is good.
Prof Young

I appreciate all the info and help.

I went ahead and ordered 100 rounds of the S&B ammo. Will enjoy shooting those and they will jump my 7.62x54r brass count to about 150. That should be enough to keep me going a long time.

I only shoot the gun for the fun of shooting a bit of history. And it is the biggest caliber I shoot so that adds to the fun. Also, great gun to let other people shoot. Lotta fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
that's exactly what i was going to recommend! shoot factory and save the brass.

Back