Help me identify this revolver

giovanni1

Inactive
So 2 days ago I bought this old black powder cartridge revolver. It however does not have an text on it, and I'm curious if anyone could identify it. It's double action with a smooth barrel, and the caliber seems to be the size of a .45

mk9iDSs.png

Sorry FrankenMauser but way wrong caliber for a R&G.

Looks much more like a British Bull Dog both in appearance & caliber. There were many continental knock offs of the B.B.D.

OP any proof marks you can get us pics of?

Bulldog style, there were many different ones made during that era, by both British and Belgian gunmakers, some from recognizable known gun makers, and some from "nameless" small shops...

With no markings, I would guess its one of the latter...

Looking at the irregular shape of the topstrap edge, the short screw in the side, and the general appearance, I'm voting for "handmade."

If it was made by a factory in any European country or their overseas colonies or posessions it would carry proof marks at the very least.

It *might* be a prototype, or a "lunchbox gun" (stolen by an employee), or assembled from parts, but it just doesn't have that "machine finished" look to it.

Sorry FrankenMauser but way wrong caliber for a R&G.
Only if it has been untouched for the last 110+ years, and it isn't a Spanish knock-off (which is probably case, whatever it is).

Most revolvers with those styling cues and functional elements were produced between 1880 and 1910. The Spanish, however, made their own versions (or direct copies) of just about anything that would sell.

In the absence of proof marks, I am going with a Spanish knockoff of a Belgian copy of a British "Bulldog" style revolver.

My guess, French or Belgian. The first look at it reminded me of my Mle 1873 French Ordnance Revolver, primarily the sweep of the hammer is what made me think so.

Cartridge could be anything from .450 Adams to 11mm French Ordnance.

I would bet that somewhere on it there is an oval with E L G inside. Look at the face
of the cylinder with a magnifying glass. It's a sort-of-close-but-not-quite copy of
a British Bulldog or RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) revolver. As Mike said--caliber can
be one of many, all black powder. I've got one in .442 Webley. Fun to shoot but a
bit of a pain to reload.

I would bet that somewhere on it there is an oval with E L G inside. Look at the face
of the cylinder with a magnifying glass. It's a sort-of-close-but-not-quite copy of
a British Bulldog or RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) revolver. As Mike said--caliber can
be one of many, all black powder. I've got one in .442 Webley. Fun to shoot but a
bit of a pain to reload.
SkKIaRl.jpg

BillM, you're right, there is an ELG mark on the cylinder. Which is also the only marking on it. Did this copy get made by an actual gun company? The dimension look a bit too good to be an improvised gun. Also the out of place looking screw probably got put in by a previous owner, since it doesn't even go all the way to end of the other side and seems kind of lose (in contrary to the other screws)

Last edited:
You will probably never be able to determine who made it. The ELG in oval is a Liege
Belgium proof. As Jim said, the crown on top denotes post 1893 manufacture. Liege guns from that era rarely have a makers name on them. They made millions of guns,
with quality running from junk to superb. Google "Belgian Bulldog Revolvers" and
"Belgian RIC Revolvers" and click images if you want to see many similar to yours.

I’ve had several such guns. Last one was unmarked nickel and was 43-44 cal. From Belgium.
Last marked was British Bulldog also nickel and was a .442 cartridge according to book. I had a full size similar revolver, had been blue and had birch grips , lanyard ring and safety.
Something close to 44cal. Maybe a Russian. It was a 7 shooter too. I would be hesitant to shot most of these Belgian and Spanish knock offs.

Howdy

As stated there were a lot of guns manufactured in Belgium. Not home made, they were made in factories. As stated, some were very good, some were junk.

There were counterfeit copies of S&W revolvers made in Belgium. The OP's revolver is is not one of them, but here are a couple of counterfeit S&W revolvers. Someone even had the nerve to put real S&W hard rubber grips on this one.

pn5SXMljj

pov7C78xj

International law was not what it is today and it was very difficult for S&W to fight these cheap imitations. Some even had the nerve to mark them with fake S&W markings. Eventually Daniel Wesson was able to force some of them to cease production of some of the cheap copies, but it took a long time for him to do so.

Back