Help me identify this gun from WW2

diggs

A WW2 vet I work with was wondering if I could get a mag for him, so I told him to bring it in. Well, he brought it in and I am clueless. Any help would be great.

thanks
diggs

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 230
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 172
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
a couple more pics

The image that the pencil is ponting to looks like a crown. The bore diameter is 9mm, but it looks very short.

Sorry for got to upload, first with pics.

diggs

Attachments

• MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 85
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 110
Hungarian

Ok, I found out it was a Hungarian firearm that shoots 9mm shorts. Now for my next question were can I find a mag. or 9mm short.

Thanks,
diggs

As above, Gun Parts sell replacement magazines.

The 9mm "Short" in America is the .380 ACP.
In Europe it's variously known as the 9mm Kurz, 9mm Corto, 9mm Short, and 9mm Browning.

Over hear we just call it the .380.

posted at the same time

Thanks guys, yet another reason this is a great site, because of the people.

thanks
diggs

The same gun was made for the Germans in 7.65mm Browning, or .32 ACP. The original Hungarian gun (as shown) was in 9mm Browning Short (.380 ACP) but the barrels interchange, so make sure which caliber it is before buying ammo. They are very sturdy and reliable guns.

That one is a nice collector's piece as many seen here are the ones made for Germany with the "jhv" code instead of the full markings. The trigger guard mark is the Hungarian crown military acceptance stamp. Top value is around $375, less with a reproduction magazine, which is all that is available today without a lot of time and patience spent looking.

Edited to add:

The slide markings translate as Frommer Firearms and Machine Factory, Ltd. It was in Budapest. The same factory is now producing the quite good FEG line of pistols, including a BHP clone.

Jim

Back