Help me identify these black powder pistols and value

GaNightTrain

Inactive
Can anyone tell me with these two pistols? The first I see it labeled as Colt 44 Cal, but the other I have nothing to go on.

Attachments

• 00 Colt BP 44Cal Revolver-1 TFL.jpg
    00 Colt BP 44Cal Revolver-1 TFL.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 00 Colt BP 44Cal Revolver-6 TFL.JPG
    00 Colt BP 44Cal Revolver-6 TFL.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 151
  • 07 BP Pistol. TFLjpg.jpg
    07 BP Pistol. TFLjpg.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 148
The first one is an 1860 Colt clone with late timing made in Italy in 1997. The second one looks like a CVA derringer kit gun.

My S.W.A.G.

The second one looks like a CVA derringer kit gun.
Pretty much agree and I believe these were referred to as a Colonial Pistol or something like that. I would have a better Idea if the ramrod was not missing. Estimated value on this is $60.00 or maybe "slightly" more. .... :confused:

My S.W.A.G. on the Colt Clone, is $650.00 +. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Thank you. I have a couple more black powder that I'm having difficulty in finding values for. I'll post separately so I can upload pics and keep my trains of thought on the rails.

The cased 1860 Army is probably one of the Pietta cased sets sold by Cabelas in the early 90s. I've had a couple of them; just not this particular one. The picture of the frame & date code is a little nuclear; but, it looks to be either BB (1992) or BF 1995. There should be some markings on top of and/or under the barrel or under the frame indicating the maker.

As to the third picture, the unfinished barrel with no front sight, trigger guard not inlet to the stock and the lock barely inlet lead me to believe that this is an unfinished CVA Colonial Pistol kit gun.

The cased 1860 w/shoulder stock could easily see $550 to $650. The colonial pistol is worth about $40 as an incomplete kit.

Hawg said:
The CVA is too short to be a colonial.

Yeah, I was wondering if it might not be a Philadelphia Derringer instead of a Colonial; but the barrel looks too long to be a Philadelphia. It been years since I've had either one, so I'm only guessing.

If it is they started making them shorter because the one I bought in the 70's was a lot longer. And mine had a snail breech instead of a drum.

From 1980 catalog:

001_zpscfuemfyd.jpg

Hawg is right though. In the mid to late 70's, the colonial was longer by a couple inches, rear sight was forward a bit more, had a different lock, and had a snail vs. drum breech. Not sure why they changed it. The older one looks better.

The name game !!!

How can it be a "Colonial" pistol when it is percussion and not flintlock?
I understand your exception to the word and yes, it's all about marketing. very much like many of the SideLock of the 80's that used the word; Hawken in their description when the better word was Plaines rifle. ..... ;)

Last year, I put another Colonial pistol kit, together. I don't think it stated that, on the barrel but the boxes were all marked as such. Funny thing is that you might see an identical M/L with a different "catchy" name. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Hawg is right though. In the mid to late 70's, the colonial was longer by a couple inches, rear sight was forward a bit more, had a different lock, and had a snail vs. drum breech. Not sure why they changed it. The older one looks better.

because that gun wasn’t a CVA . They were made and marketed by Jukar of Spain .as a colonial pistol .
After they started producing for import by CVA they dropped the line and went just to making the CVA version which was cheaper to produce. jukar later sold out to Adesa if i recall ....
DSC00084.jpg

Finally found a pic of the one I had and it is a little shorter than I remembered. It was my first and last attempt at a kit gun and didn't turn out well at all. It came in a box marked CVA Colonial so they must have made some. The only markings on the gun itself was Spain. When I built it the hammer didn't meet the nipple correctly and the instructions said it could be bent cold but when I tried it things broke. I came across it awhile back and bought a NOS CVA lock off ebay and while it fit, the hammer was off just like the old one. I ended up giving it to somebody for parts.

. I dont know for fact but CVA mayhave bought out the Jukar stock . but the one i posted was marked jukar . had spain stamped on side . some that i sold also had Spain stamped on the bolster . once jukar stoped marketing and CVA began importing spanish made guns , the pistols became smaller the lock changed to the small maslin type . alot of these were also marked with Made in Dikar Spain not CVA

i just noticed something and i had to go back and look through by old retail catalogs .
take a look at the brochure that noelf2 posted .
Note that the pistol on the box as well as the parts shown in front of the box , is not the pistol shown in the add .
its not that one is a cap and the one a flint . the one shown on the box is the early jukar as are the parts shown laid out in front of the box . while the one thats photographed is a later , shorter one with the newer lock and tumbler

don’t know how many times I have seen those boxes or that add and never noticed that before

Last edited:
Back